Trying rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeethearts_2002

Reaction score
I'm a first time rabbitry owner we currently y have 3 californian does and 1 buck, 1 satin chocolate buck, 1 lionhead buck. The californians are show quality and that's what they were for someone else and in an emergency a year a go we took them in. The satin is a pet and we took in the lionhead which was a show rabbit as well. I love animals and I have a few fears regarding rabbits #1 has to do with cost of food going up and needing to provide food and make money. #2 is getting attached and not wanting to kill them. #3 can I even eat this animal. Will I like it? I've never tried rabbit, I want to get over this hurdle. We have our first litter of only 4, but I'm thankful God has provided. I'm greatful for every form of life. Prayers please and some advise.

Parboil a bunch of hind legs with some Herb ox chicken bullion until fork tender. Season with a little salt and pepper or any other seasonings you prefer then dredge in bisquik. Fry in oil till golden brown.

I'm a first time rabbitry owner we currently y have 3 californian does and 1 buck, 1 satin chocolate buck, 1 lionhead buck. The californians are show quality and that's what they were for someone else and in an emergency a year a go we took them in. The satin is a pet and we took in the lionhead which was a show rabbit as well. I love animals and I have a few fears regarding rabbits #1 has to do with cost of food going up and needing to provide food and make money. #2 is getting attached and not wanting to kill them. #3 can I even eat this animal. Will I like it? I've never tried rabbit, I want to get over this hurdle. We have our first litter of only 4, but I'm thankful God has provided. I'm greatful for every form of life. Prayers please and some advise.
I have raised rabbits about 4 years now and have only butchered and ate maybe 2 lol. Hubby is the one who dispatches and I help him dress it out. It's not easy for me because even when I know an animal is going to be eaten, I still can't help but get attached. However, fried rabbit with biscuits and gravy is almost as good as fried deer backstrap with biscuits and gravy and I have heard you can do anything with rabbit meat you can do with chicken. I want hubby to smoke a few rabbits and see how they are smothered in Strawberry's BBQ seasoning. Rabbit meat didn't taste at all "gamey".

I have been in tight spots before and ran out of pellets and couldn't get more for a week. What I did in that situation is just give them more grass and weeds and they made it just fine.

Back