True dwarf/dwarf gene question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffleFarm

Reaction score
So I have a pair that products a peanut. Now I’m trying to figure out how the dwarf gene works.
I know that each bunny gives 1 to their offspring. And peanuts are a double dwarf gene. So I know that my buck and his doe both are true dwarf as they produced a peanut…

so here’s my question… I also have the bucks dad and mom… I’m assuming the dad buck is the true dwarf and the mom doe is a false dwarf as she just produced another litter of 8 with no dwarfs… and the dad buck is just under 2 pounds and full grown.

Could both parents be true dwarf if none of the last litter were peanuts? Highly unlikely right? So do I breed dad buck to the doe that produced a peanut and see what happens?

I don’t think I can breed mom and son…

yes, both parents can be true dwarf and not produce a peanut. USUALLY a doe capable of caring 8 kits is not a true dwarf. :) Those does are often on the bigger side of the scale as well. Doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to your breeding program though. All true dwarf bunnies in a rabbit barm can produce a lot of litters of nothing... and false dwarfs can contribute some solid width to your herd as well. Evaluate them all according to the standard and see what matches up the best. Keep the brood sized as long as they will help your long term goals.

yes, both parents can be true dwarf and not produce a peanut. USUALLY a doe capable of caring 8 kits is not a true dwarf. :) Those does are often on the bigger side of the scale as well. Doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to your breeding program though. All true dwarf bunnies in a rabbit barm can produce a lot of litters of nothing... and false dwarfs can contribute some solid width to your herd as well. Evaluate them all according to the standard and see what matches up the best. Keep the brood sized as long as they will help your long term goals.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. I kinda figured she wasn’t due to her litters.
One of her daughters is petite and only had 3. No peanuts but figure she’s got a better shot. I am trying to figure out who I should/shouldn’t breed together o that helps!

don't base it on who has the dwarf gene, base it on, who has what parts that fits together the best.
Well I was more so trying to not have peanuts and unsuccessful breeding if I can help it. So knowing who is true vs who probably isn’t so I don’t get double dwarfs.

And then obviously going for body structure and bone mass etc

But a good chunk of mine are VM and/or VC so showing them gets wonky from what I can tell. And half of them are pedigreed, half aren’t because my unrelated male who is old enough currently isn’t pedigreed at all. 😒

my pedigreed older male is related to lots of the females which isn’t a huge problem…

but pedigreed young buck is brother to 3 does, and son to one doe…

and I have a young pedigreed broken buck who is unrelated but he’s too young still… just barely not a baby….

And then the unpedigreed BEW.

Anyway… the young pedigreed buck who is related to most of the girls, was paired with an unrelated female and we got peanuts…

trying to wrap my head about it all. 🙃

why do you want to avoid having peanuts? If you don't like having peanuts you probably shouldn't be raising holland lops. It's hard to cull them, but it's a necessary part of raising them. Mini lops might be more up your alley if you like the lopped look but want to avoid having peanuts. Just something to think about.

Do you mean like when breeding try to balance proportions out?
it's when you try to create a rabbit who looks like holland lops should look like. For instance, breeding a wide, short legged rabbit to one that has a better crown but has a thinner build and long legs.

why do you want to avoid having peanuts? If you don't like having peanuts you probably shouldn't be raising holland lops. It's hard to cull them, but it's a necessary part of raising them. Mini lops might be more up your alley if you like the lopped look but want to avoid having peanuts. Just something to think about.
Well, most of our lines are VM and VC so can’t show them anyway.

But It has nothing to do with fear of culling. My husband is doing meat rabbits. And we have raised parrots for years with horrible beak eating mamas and dads. We’ve had to cull so that’s not a problem.

Just doesnt seem to be a point in aiming for peanuts when I can avoid it and still produce within standard. Obviously if that ceases to be the case then peanuts will be necessary.

gotcha. i know several young breeders who struggle with peanuts and so I suggest a different breed for them.

I don't much care for them, but know it's part of raising hollands. The best way I find to work with that is to have a small buck and larger does that push the weight limit or are just over it. but with lots of unknowns like you have in your herd, you'll have to mix and match to find the best way to breed.

Latest posts

Back