Tri Otter? Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my new tri rex doe. According to what they have in her pedigree she is ataB_CcchdDdej_Enen. I don't see any indication of her being otter but i read something that if she is ejej it wouldn't show, is that correct? Is there anything I could see on her phenotype to confirm this or disprove it? I also got her black magpie son, and sable magpie daughter. I was told she also produced an ermine in addition to tris and magpies. 20240211_145859.jpg

Thanks! So it's possible that she is ata? I previously had only read about tris being A_ (I'm guess that's probably the norm?) I don't see any otter rabbits behind her, so I'm hoping the got that from breeding results. She has chocolate magpie behind her, so fingers crossed. Chocolate otter is one of my favorites😍

Tricolor is broken plus harlequin e(j)__. Harlequin e(j) e(j) overrides agouti, self, and tan. Green Barn Farm has an excellent page at https://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/steel-phenotype-chart.shtml to show how harlequin interacts with the 'A' agouti gene. Sometimes e(j) e rabbits can show slight traces of the 'A' gene patterning, like smutty faces on a self where the tortoiseshell dark points would be, or light marks on the flanks of agouti rabbits.

You said that your tri doe has thrown ermines. Ermine is agouti + chinchilla or sable + non-extension ee. It takes two non-extension genes to make an ermine--you start with agouti banding, then non-extension replaces the base color with white, and the rest of the fiber is the yellow (fawn/orange) tone, like a red or orange or fawn agouti rabbit. Then chinchilla or sable comes in and removes all yellow tones, leaving you with a pearly white rabbit. Wherever you would have had dark tips to the hair on your orange agouti rabbit, called 'smut', like on the ear edges or sprinkled on the face--becomes the classic ermine dark hairs. Some breeds (that allow for ermines to be shown) call for heavy tipping. Other people prefer an all-white rabbit with dark eyes, instead of the albino ruby-eyed-white (REW). Anyway, if she has thrown ermines, you know that your doe is e(j) e.

Back