Tri-Color Mini Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show wise they don't have the type to compete yet so there are very few people who raise them. There is a pretty decent interest in them for pets so there are a few pet breeders out there with them. I started with Tri Colour Mini Rex.

I miss mine, I had one doe, Butterfinger, and she was the nicest little rabbit. But, yea, her type sucked. I heard they were having major issues with the torted tris popping up, and someone told me that there were tris showing up with four colors?? I didn't think that was genetically possible.

tomcatrabbitry":2knl2aw3 said:
I miss mine, I had one doe, Butterfinger, and she was the nicest little rabbit. But, yea, her type sucked. I heard they were having major issues with the torted tris popping up, and someone told me that there were tris showing up with four colors?? I didn't think that was genetically possible.

Tri messes up everything it's bred too. You can get otters with stripes on the belly (or blue otters with black stripes on the back like a merle) Castors tended to get spots, and the dreaded torted tris :x Some tri colours did have black and blue spots on their fawn. I've even seen a broken black with some blue spots. It's insanity!

tri is fun, but as devon says...it messes up colours on other rabbits. And I've learned it sometimes doesn't show up until they moult out their baby coats.

none the less... if I could breed a good tri coloured rabbit, I'd be happy. :)

tomcatrabbitry":2e434sqa said:
My first MR, a freecycle buck, had four colors plus the white-- all the colors were nice and rich-- he was gorgeous!!! His colors: Black, brown, red, and fawn. All very distinct, no smudging. Haven't seen any like him since..

I don't know tort from tart!!! _ one ofthe many reasons I prefer solid colors---the colors were so rich--I spent over 600 dollars on him, getting an abcess removed and cultured- the idiot died during a windstorm- broke his neck against the cage side.

Nothing wrong with broken tort, tort and castor in MR are one of the most developed colours. The butterfly would have been black but depending on where the colour ends up on a broken you would see varying shades of the red, darker on the top and fading a bit lower down the body. So the red depending on the rufus would appear fawn/brown to deep red. It is impossible though to get actual brown (chocolate) and black on on rabbit that shows in the phenotype as black is dominant over the chocolate.

I saw a photo and article about a Tri-Color Mini Rex that would have been just a broken black, but something got messed up and she was a blue and black Tri. She was very pretty, but didn't have any babies like herself.

She probably had a chin gene in her as well as ej so the red/tan would have been suppressed Also maybe some sort of shaded modifier as well. It can get pretty messed up, which is why a lot breeders stay away from the Tri gene pool now as it has been messed up by some breeding for pet colours as they sell as pets really well.

Latest posts

Back