Treatment for gi stasis or bloat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damani

Reaction score
My angora has a tummy as tight as a drum, and a few berries stuck to her butt. How shall I treat her? I am thinking water with epsom salts...she won't eat or drink on her own.

What do you feed normally?
A vet could give a better diagnosis, but that's what I would do:

Mix Simeticon (the stuff for gassy babys, don't know the brand names over there, about 20mg per serving) with water, or better electrolyt ( mine liked that better, there's a recipe for that somewere here, its just water, sugar and a little salt) and syringe feed her that. When my doe stopped eating she gobbled down about 50-60ml of that. See here:
homemade-electrolytic-solution-t14844.html
I also gave her 1-2ml flax seed oil.
Also massaging her tummy helped, and she liked it. I got the Simeticon when I heard bubbles moving.

If she doesn't eat on her own feed her with a large bore syringe, I guess the stuff is called "critical care". If not available soak pellets in water until they are a watery paste and feed that.
I also mixed in some oatmeal and cooked or canned pumpkin.

EDIT: Uh, Angora. I don't have any experience with woolies, but it could be wool block.
Read that threads, there are some suggestions about that too.
rabbit-doesn-t-eat-sits-placid-there-doing-nothing-t27584.html

papaya-and-pineapple-for-wool-block-t17843.htm

Like Preitler said but I use 1cc of mineral oil every 6 hours rather than flax seed oil till the dam breaks. Twice usually does it but sometime I've had to give my Flemish Giants 3 treatments.

Preitler":j4k6of1k said:
What do you feed normally?
A vet could give a better diagnosis, but that's what I would do:

Mix Simeticon (the stuff for gassy babys, don't know the brand names over there, about 20mg per serving) with water, or better electrolyt ( mine liked that better, there's a recipe for that somewere here, its just water, sugar and a little salt) and syringe feed her that. When my doe stopped eating she gobbled down about 50-60ml of that. See here:
homemade-electrolytic-solution-t14844.html
I also gave her 1-2ml flax seed oil.
Also massaging her tummy helped, and she liked it. I got the Simeticon when I heard bubbles moving.

If she doesn't eat on her own feed her with a large bore syringe, I guess the stuff is called "critical care". If not available soak pellets in water until they are a watery paste and feed that.
I also mixed in some oatmeal and cooked or canned pumpkin.

I gave her epsom salts and homeopathic lycopodium...she passed a dozen pellets and her left side went down. At the vets she took a preparation called metoclopromide Syrup, but she won't eat. How do you get them to take oil if they won't eat?
EDIT: Uh, Angora. I don't have any experience with woolies, but it could be wool block.
Read that threads, there are some suggestions about that too.
rabbit-doesn-t-eat-sits-placid-there-doing-nothing-t27584.html

papaya-and-pineapple-for-wool-block-t17843.htm
<br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:44 pm -- <br /><br />
Homer":j4k6of1k said:
Like Preitler said but I use 1cc of mineral oil every 6 hours rather than flax seed oil till the dam breaks. Twice usually does it but sometime I've had to give my Flemish Giants 3 treatments.

How do I get the oil into her if she won't eat?

Put the tip of the syringe behind her front teeth from one side and put the oil in slowly.
It helped a lot to wrap my doe into a dowel.
Also, when feeding, do it slowly, about 1ml, wait, then the next.

Ok for the record this is what I did and the results:
Upon finding my French Angora Doe (18 months old) not hungry or thirsty, I brought her in the house to find out what was wrong. She was a bloated as a tick--her nipples were sticking out of her fur!
She is shedding, so I suspected wool block.
I used a kitten feeder, filled it with filtered water and one pellet of Lycopodium clavatum 30C. I brushed as much loose fur I could get off her and forced the water down her throat, until she stopped swallowing. Then I tried to look up a thread on this subject for clues.

Before I got a response i looked in my Rabbit Reference Library and under constipation, I read--call a vet immediately.
I don't have a vet so I let my fingers do the walking...and the first clinic wouldn't see her until 3 pm
The second could get her in at 2:30, the third didn't treat rabbits, but referred me to a clinic that does and they took her in immediately. When I returned to the scene of the crime, she had passed a dozen or so pellets--very black and hard, poor thing.

I gave her some kale stems, water and pumpkin seeds. She ate the kale but not the seeds. I tried stuffing a seed in her mouth and she wasn't having it. So I wisked her off to the vet.

By that time, her right side had deflated but her left side was tight and swollen. The doc remarked that I was successful, but also suggested I keep a hypodermic needle nearby in case she blew up again, because that is what is used on cattle and horses that bloat--to relieve the pressure.

My concern was a wool block and getting it to pass, not how to relieve gas pressure (I used to give them BOSS, but the mice were eating more of it than they were. I give them avocado pits and shells for lubrication--they love it.)

He squirted some solution (Metoclopromide Syrup) that she liked down her gullet and gave me some advice and a tube of some Probiocin.

I put her back in the tub when I got home, gave her another squirt of the homeopathic solution/epsom salts, and the yummy stuff. I flipped her over and stroked her belly.

Then I got a response on how to get her to accept oil, so I filled the syringe that the yummy stuff (Metoclopromide Syrup) came in with Nigella Sativa -- black cumin seed oil--and pumped half of it into her. She was smacking her lips and tasting the oil for awhile, and when I returned 15 minutes later-boom! Another pile of hard dry pebbles and a hungry bunny!

Good job! Trick is keeping them hydrated. You can use a syringe for that or do sub Q fluids. Next is keeping them eating. I have one doe who tries to go into stasis every so often and when she does, all rules go out the window and she gets offered all the things she goes nuts for. Avoid high sugar items. And re: using a needle to release gas...That is no longer recommended as a treatment for rabbits as they can easily get peritonitis and die. Fine for cows and horses, not fine for bunnies.

I recently had a doe get blocked up. She was not totally blocked or she would have died, but I had to syringe her with water. She did not eat for two days, was in hunched pain posture, but was not bloated. I gave her water by hand, tempted her with her favorite things. She finally ate some soaked and heated pellets topped with bits of banana. I held her on my lap for her water treatments, and massaged her belly each time. Day two she passed a thick plug of poo and then proceeded to unload the rest over the space of a day. Her issue was fodder and too much fiber. Her poops had been chaining for a good while on fodder but I failed to predict any issues. After that incident ( a few weeks ago) I put her right back on her 100% pellets and her poop returned to normal. This is basically the same treatment for severe stasis but they do not always come out of it.

Back