Treating a Blister

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink

Reaction score
Beth has been avoiding to lean on her left back leg. When I went for a closer look, I noticed a small round bare spot on the sole of her foot.

Unfortunately, Beth is a very shy girl and will not allow me to handle her. I sit in the "doe yard" everyday for hours, speaking and singing to them, but she's still very weary.

I'm thinking it is a blister, from when she was living on wire flooring.

Is there anything I can do?

If it is a blister (which is doubtful), the best thing is to leave it alone. I would catch her and get a good look at it, and ideally take a pic and post it here. Clean it with betadine if you have any or warm water and then apply an antibiotic ointment as a first step, and then let us know more about it for other treatment options.

Wear gloves and a long sleeved shirt, and something you can tuck her head under- she will feel safer if she can't see. After you treat it, sit with her on your lap for a while and pet and talk to her so she associates you with something pleasant instead of the trauma of you messing with her foot. You may need to keep her eyes covered for a bit until she relaxes. If you are able to get her relaxed enough to eat a nice treat out of your hands before putting her back that will help too.

Probably what is usually referred to as "sore hocks". Sometimes when a rabbit's claws get too long, they change the rabbit's posture and cause a pressure sore. Sometimes it is just from wear and tear on the wire. If you can house her on clean, dry straw, this may help. If there is actually an open wound, it will require treatment, but if it is just tender, it will probably heal up okay on its own, given a softer surface.

MaggieJ":3bnaxhfq said:
Probably what is usually referred to as "sore hocks". Sometimes when a rabbit's claws get too long, they change the rabbit's posture and cause a pressure sore. Sometimes it is just from wear and tear on the wire. If you can house her on clean, dry straw, this may help. If there is actually an open wound, it will require treatment, but if it is just tender, it will probably heal up okay on its own, given a softer surface.

Not an open wound, just a sore. Beth was the only one in the entire herd that had short nails, but yet she is the only one with a sore hock. Everyone's nails are now clipped. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back