Toying with making a run for rabbits in the summer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindi Davis

Reaction score
I have a rather small place but would like to try a colony experiment this next summer. I do have to keep the top covered as we are inundated with cats here be it feral or pets and its really annoying. Could anyone give me suggestions as to how to set one up. Also cleaning

There is some really good pics in the gallery under the "Equipment" thread. Especially the one with the top on it. Could be something you would consider.

Have annoying feral or pet cats here too. Thankfully Jake does the job to keep them out of the yard and the bunny run/garden. Jake just took over responsibility to guard his Tribe.

Karen

I made a tractor for mine, and will be making a couple more. In a perfect world I'd like a run too, but I could make the tractors more secure, and move them to fresh grass - it is insane how much pasture a bunny can eat in a day!

I used leftover lumber fencing lumber and made it 3X12. For the sides I used leftover hardware cloth, and for the top and bottom I used leftover 2X4 fencing wire. All I purchased was a bit of plywood for tops and to make a windbreak on each long side. It is VERY heavy, but it also secure.

Things I like:

The security, bunnies have been in it since July - 0 escapes.
The hardware cloth (better at protecting them from my dogs, and also then from other animals).
The 2x4 wire has worked great for the floor, it's big enough they can eat the grass and even dig, but even the smaller bunnies haven't managed to dig enough to go through.

Things I'd do differently.

Next time for the top, I'll use PVC roofing panels, and hinge them to the top(?) still figuring that out.
I'll also make a 2nd level, or possibly 2 of them, one on each side. The buns in this one have wood boxes, an old carrier, and so on, but I'd like to have a floor up off the ground.

I want wheels on the next, or else I need to make the frame lighter. I'm worried PVC isn't strong enough, but I'm thinking 2X2 wood would be fine.

I've had 4 does in this, and it would be great for a litter for growing out. None of these does are reproducing (they're pets), so no idea on that. I'm planning to have it so that all my babies go in these, and also at least rotate my adults into them. The bunnies love it! If you scroll down through my blathering on this blog post there are a couple pictures of it.. http://www.threadtwist.blogspot.com/201 ... oject.html

Oceanrose":kmbd2lj9 said:
I made a tractor for mine, and will be making a couple more. In a perfect world I'd like a run too, but I could make the tractors more secure, and move them to fresh grass - it is insane how much pasture a bunny can eat in a day!

I used leftover lumber fencing lumber and made it 3X12. For the sides I used leftover hardware cloth, and for the top and bottom I used leftover 2X4 fencing wire. All I purchased was a bit of plywood for tops and to make a windbreak on each long side. It is VERY heavy, but it also secure.

Things I like:

The security, bunnies have been in it since July - 0 escapes.
The hardware cloth (better at protecting them from my dogs, and also then from other animals).
The 2x4 wire has worked great for the floor, it's big enough they can eat the grass and even dig, but even the smaller bunnies haven't managed to dig enough to go through.

Things I'd do differently.

Next time for the top, I'll use PVC roofing panels, and hinge them to the top(?) still figuring that out.
I'll also make a 2nd level, or possibly 2 of them, one on each side. The buns in this one have wood boxes, an old carrier, and so on, but I'd like to have a floor up off the ground.

I want wheels on the next, or else I need to make the frame lighter. I'm worried PVC isn't strong enough, but I'm thinking 2X2 wood would be fine.

I've had 4 does in this, and it would be great for a litter for growing out. None of these does are reproducing (they're pets), so no idea on that. I'm planning to have it so that all my babies go in these, and also at least rotate my adults into them. The bunnies love it! If you scroll down through my blathering on this blog post there are a couple pictures of it.. http://www.threadtwist.blogspot.com/201 ... oject.html

Tractor looks great!

Like your tractor Oceanrose. Really nice. Very economical using all leftovers.

Fortunately for me and our rabbits, my husband built a secure run (with leftovers). But I like the idea that you can move your tractor to other parts of the yard for fresher grass. Plus different viewpoints. Definitely a good mental stimulation for your rabbits.

Karen

Make sure you add plenty of hiding places for them and nesting tunnels of a sort. You can also add a sand box for them to dig in which they enjoy. But make sure your ground is covered with 2 x 4 wire if you dont want then digging to china. :)

Colonies are great, we have a large one for the does 10'x30' and a smaller one for the buck 10'x8'. We did not originally put wire down and we've had to do lots of subsequent armoring. A roof is absolutely necessary, not only for cats, but all the other predators out there.

I'm no help with colony design since I cage raise, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

OceanRose,

no wonder you find your tractor hard to move! Is that 6" or 8" lumber? It is like Bunny Fort Knox!

What a beautiful home and garden you have. I love the kitty porch and your ultra-picturesque boat house! :p

The wood is 1X6. The previous owners left a huge stack of it in the boathouse, along with some round fence posts too. Since eventually, that is going to be completely remodeled inside into a fiber studio and library, I started using the wood up. I made a bunch of raised bed gardens, used the wood for the tractor, and a few other projects. I still have a bunch left, I'm going to add a little porch onto the boathouse, and a garden wrapping around the building so I'll use some more for that garden. And for where I'm putting potatoes in the spring :). Maybe then the pile will be almost gone.

This house is where we've been waiting to live forever, can't wait to really get going in the garden next year.

My personal opinion, is if I can build a couple more, I'd be able to not have to mow the lawn in the front of the house.... hehehe. One good thing about this one, is that I was able to lift it onto my back deck. It's taken some doing getting the tarps just right, but I think I finally have it so the girls can stay in it all winter instead of being relegated to cages. That's another reason I would switch to roofing for the next one, to keep them dryer, they don't like getting wet.

I want to do the tractor idea, myself, for the new does. The rabbits DEVOUR pasture so fast its insane. My current set up uses a large 10'x4' pen and a much larger day pen. Alot of work to move it. I use a simple day run for my bucks, I tried to upload a pic here, hope it works. They do not have a bottom so they *can* dig out if they are determined or have an indentation to work with. I used leftover 2"x4" fencing, J-clipped together in the middle making it 8' long, curved over so they have 2' headroom, and some old planks my landlady was tossing from an old fence. Its not too hard for me to pick up an end and pull it over to a fresh spot. I place a piece of scrap plywood on top when its in a sunny spot. Ghetto, but it works. If you wanted to, could add a door on top and fencing on the bottom. What I like is how little material it took to make some boy rabbits really happy!!

Attachments

• 2012_09_10_MStorm_6614_800.jpg
    2012_09_10_MStorm_6614_800.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,427
newbie to the rabbit world , don't even have any yet :) But this is what I have to work with.
I have some 5' x 10' & 10' x 10' 6' high with tarp roofs dog kennels that im thinking about turning into rabbit pens colonies any ideas

Make sure you put 2" by 4 " wire on the floor so that they can't dig out. And be sure to make some hides and nest hutches or tunnels for them as well. Another thing you may want to do is make a sand box in there for them to dig in. Mine love to dig in sand. Just make sure it can drain water.

thanks tm the pens do have dirt floors with wire under them as we didn't want the pups digging out either ..Ill have to check with DH and see what size wire it is

Latest posts

Back