tough choices

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBA

Reaction score
Going through mini lop babies (ok, 2-3 month olds) today. Hard to decide which ones make the cut to stay, and which ones don't. The litter off of Belle and Oliver (black steel doe and chestnut buck) consists of an Opal doe, chestnut doe, chestnut buck, and two black steel bucks. The chestnut buck, Chester is definetly staying. One of the black steel bucks is so/so, one is a very strong contender to stay. The chestnut doe is just as strong a contender to stay, the Opal doe, not so much. Have cage space to only keep two.....

Then going through the litter from Sonny and Shiloh (broken chestnut buck and black steel doe). One, automatically goes, a broken black steel (no nose marking). Another solid black steel goes, he is quite tiny and has a very narrow head. Norman, a broken chestnut buck stays. There is another broken chestnut that I really really like, but it only has half a nose marking and very little color, it might be pushing it as far as the 10% color rule goes. There is also a very nice black steel buck in the litter that I really like.

There again, only have cage space to keep two....

Then we have the three kits from Opal. A REW doe, and two opals. The REW stays, one Opal will probably stay, the other is too narrow in the head and over all body type is quite small.

Then I started looking at some other rabbits. My little buddy, Pyrite, is not looking so good. He is a very sweet bunny, but, he just wouldn't show well at all. He is just so tiny. Probably only 60% as big as his two sisters that we kept (cheyenne and yukki).

That leads me to shiloh. There again, will never show well, but she does throw some good looking kits. Will probably keep her as a brood doe for another couple breedings.

I'm getting too many good bucks. Good problem to have I guess. Within a couple of weeks I'm going to have to build a few more cages.

The only good point of having too many good quality rabbits is, when show season starts back up, I should be able to get a higher price on a few of the really good ones. But my fear kicks in..... I bought a broken chestnut buck off of loplover, and he is really nice. After getting him, every time he has shown when she was showing, he beat her rabbit. Good for us, bad for LL. I'm afraid I will sell the wrong rabbit and it will bite me in the rear.

I suppose that could also help to boost our reputation as a rabbitry though, if rabbits we do sell end up doing really well on the show table.

That's it, I just need 65 more cages.....

As far as being afraid of selling the "wrong" rabbit...

One of the very first rabbits we bred and sold as show quality was a buck that went to a girl who said she was only interested in showing at her county 4-H show. The little buck was cute but I didn't think he was going to be better than our herd sires purchased from some top breeders. A few months later, a different gal contacts us and we help her get rabbits for her daughter to start showing. Come to find out, she had also purchased that buck from the 4-Her. So, her first show, she is showing the buck we sold and he ends up winning a Best Opposite of Breed (after one of our does), beating several of our bucks! She was so thrilled and I was actually more excited and happy for her since this was the best finish one of our home bred rabbits had ever had, up to that point. I was happy to see a new family get into raising and showing rabbits and be successful!

I will admit I had the same gut feeling as you about selling something I should have kept, but I think that is something that happens to every breeder. After seeing how positive it was to help someone else, though, I have a different mindset.

Latest posts

Back