Too hot for rabbits? Go underground

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
I see posts every year in the hot weather where raisers are having trouble breeding or, worse yet, losing rabbits to the heat.
I ran across this research and just had to pass it on. These underground methods are easily adapted to almost anywhere and best of all are practical for use by by small operators with only a few breeding does. Most of the methods come from Egypt, which has a climate much like parts of Texas, Arizona and New Mexico where heat is always a problem.
It is a PDF so you need something like Adobe to open it.
http://ressources.ciheam.org/om/pdf/c08/95605275.pdf

will look at it later after devotions and making sure the scf hasnt visited me again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edited to clear up any confusion

I have seen many designs like that and it's given me an idea. I wonder about making mine a buried nest out of wall building bricks. The hollow long skinny ones. I see variations of them at lowes for less than $2 each. They might be happier with that than with the plywood boxes and they've already torn up the aglime in the tunnel experiment that failed. Somewhere I saw where they made these clay boxes underground with wire tunnels in to them from the cages to breed in a hot climate.

akane":22h4okyb said:
I have seen many designs like that and it's given me an idea. I wonder about making mine a buried nest out of wall building bricks. The hollow long skinny ones. I see variations of them at lowes for less than $2 each. They might be happier with that than with the plywood boxes and they've already torn up the aglime in the tunnel experiment that failed. Somewhere I saw where they made these clay boxes underground with wire tunnels in to them from the cages to breed in a hot climate.

Those soft baked adobe bricks they sell for patios might be good.

hoodat":q0tz04f7 said:
Post removed by myself. :oops:

do i wanna know? because i JUST realized how bad what i typed out looked :oops:<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 am __________<br /><br />yes going to change that!

I like the last one best myself, although it would be more work to build than the way I have it now...

that is awesome! That last figure is what we have been thinking on if we ever have to move the rabbits out of where they are. I m going to show this to my father he will like it he loves stuff like this

pastelsummer":2l7hb3oc said:
hoodat":2l7hb3oc said:
Post removed by myself. :oops:

do i wanna know? because i JUST realized how bad what i typed out looked :oops:

__________ Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 am __________

yes going to change that!

I was afraid I might give offense but what I said was,"Please tell me you're talking about rabbits". :lol:

I've seen this before, but I'd be too paranoid about rain and flooding...even with the best methods used to minimize collecting rain.

ChickiesnBunnies":388xrxwb said:
I've seen this before, but I'd be too paranoid about rain and flooding...even with the best methods used to minimize collecting rain.
So long as there is a wire cage at one end of the tunnel that shouldn't be a problem. In case the underground chamber floods they can escape to the wire cage.

Latest posts

Back