Too cold for our new kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The temperature here in this part of Texas is going to be hit with a cold spell for the next 4 nights with the temperature getting down to 20 degrees Saturday night and down to 11 degrees Monday night. The hutch that our kits are in are in a two sided hutch made off the ground open on oneside and they can go through hole in wood to the right side thats inclosed like a box so they can go in there and we put hey for their nesting and the kits are in there. Day time will be above freezing but night time and there are 9 kits in that one nest. Plus there is two does living in that hutch so not sure if two births for this was a surprise lol.

The temperature here in this part of Texas is going to be hit with a cold spell for the next 4 nights with the temperature getting down to 20 degrees Saturday night and down to 11 degrees Monday night. The hutch that our kits are in are in a two sided hutch made off the ground open on oneside and they can go through hole in wood to the right side thats inclosed like a box so they can go in there and we put hey for their nesting and the kits are in there. Day time will be above freezing but night time and there are 9 kits in that one nest. Plus there is two does living in that hutch so not sure if two births for this was a surprise lol.
From what you describe, they should be okay. Our rabbits with spring litters deal with those kind of temperatures pretty frequently. A solid wood box filled with hay and the mother's (or two mothers' ?) fur with nine warm bodies should keep them snug. 20 degrees isn't a worry and while 11 is fairly cold, it probably won't be that temp for too many hours if it is getting above freezing during the day.

As long as there's plenty of fur in there they should do just fine, but if you're really worried about it, you could collect the kits and bring them inside for the night. Just put them in a box with hay and some of the fur from the nest (you won't need much if they're inside the house where it's warm.) Then take them back out in the morning when the chill has lifted a bit.

I can't wait for bunnies in my barn! 😀 I am about to start breeding right now.

Last edited:
I am in Illinois and we are going subzero with 20 mph winds. My outdoor hutches hold up well. I stuff in hay to cover the wire floor, cover the open areas on the outside with whatever. Usually feed sacks and heavy plastic. The feed sacks should make a great cold air barrier for your buns and when you warm up again rip 'em off and burn 'em or whatever. Sometimes I hate winter.

I am in Illinois and we are going subzero with 20 mph winds. My outdoor hutches hold up well. I stuff in hay to cover the wire floor, cover the open areas on the outside with whatever. Usually feed sacks and heavy plastic. The feed sacks should make a great cold air barrier for your buns and when you warm up again rip 'em off and burn 'em or whatever. Sometimes I hate winter.
Winter is stupid.JPG

Thats a great idea 👍 I too had thought of using some feed sacks like that and I got under where the babies are and stapled some across the 2x4s to help keep any air away from them. We just pray we dont lose any of them we have 3 days of temperatures under freezing hitting tonight. Hopefully we are ready as can be we just had one doe that had 4 new kits and all 4 of hers died before we knew she had them last week. Then these happen couple days later in another hutch. So we are happy its a big litter.

Thats a great idea 👍 I too had thought of using some feed sacks like that and I got under where the babies are and stapled some across the 2x4s to help keep any air away from them. We just pray we dont lose any of them we have 3 days of temperatures under freezing hitting tonight. Hopefully we are ready as can be we just had one doe that had 4 new kits and all 4 of hers died before we knew she had them last week. Then these happen couple days later in another hutch. So we are happy its a big litter.
I thought you were in AZ, guess not ha. Hope your babies are fine this morning. It's a challenge and you may be bringing them inside. We are at =10 with a wind chill of -40 they say. Good Lord. Wonder how Chicago kept their 30k plus illegals warm.

I just checked on them and they feel warm to the touch so added more hay and a took a thick tarp and wrap around the legs under the hutch so no cold air goes under them. Right now we are 21 degrees that feels like 9 and tonight is supposed to be 16 degrees. No we are in Kempner Texas. So its colder where you are.

I just checked on them and they feel warm to the touch so added more hay and a took a thick tarp and wrap around the legs under the hutch so no cold air goes under them. Right now we are 21 degrees that feels like 9 and tonight is supposed to be 16 degrees. No we are in Kempner Texas. So its colder where you are.

good to hear they are surviving. we are at -6 and it's not going to get better for 2 more days. I've been out three times today, once more and I'm done. It's brutal. The wind is so bad I wrapped in tarps also.
Oh wow stay safe. We made our 3 runs too of getting our chickens and rabbit's all water. 🙏

We've got 9° feels like 1° at my place, here in Ohio. Luckily I've only got a few grow outs. I stuffed the cages full of hay, they're plenty old enough.

I'm glad the sheep do so well in the cold. And I don't lamb til March when the worst of the weather is past. I learned that from growing up with a dairy goat herd and dad always had them kidding in January and February.

Hope your litter pulls through. I never had problems with my rabbits in the cold unless a doe kindled on the wire.

We've got 9° feels like 1° at my place, here in Ohio. Luckily I've only got a few grow outs. I stuffed the cages full of hay, they're plenty old enough.

I'm glad the sheep do so well in the cold. And I don't lamb til March when the worst of the weather is past. I learned that from growing up with a dairy goat herd and dad always had them kidding in January and February.

Hope your litter pulls through. I never had problems with my rabbits in the cold unless a doe kindled on the wire.
Thanks 😊 thats what happen to a doe about a little over a week ago she had 4 on wire rather then on the fur she pulled and hay and they all died and then thank God these was born in another hutch with more fur and on more hay and its either 8 or 9 in there.

I'm not that far from you, in Killeen. One of my does kindled Sunday night. We did block the wind side of the barn before the cold front hit, but it's pretty open otherwise. Checked this morning and all kits feel nice and warm to the touch.
Hi neighbor its awesome to hear from you.. We actually are more in Copperas Cove off 190 towards Kempner. Glad to hear your in our area so you know what we are going through. We have the kits we are worried about and 13 small chickens with their mother in our greenhouse rather then our children coop so they are warmer.

Hi neighbor its awesome to hear from you.. We actually are more in Copperas Cove off 190 towards Kempner. Glad to hear your in our area so you know what we are going through. We have the kits we are worried about and 13 small chickens with their mother in our greenhouse rather then our children coop so they are warmer.
Hi Neighbor! Kits are still fine and warm this morning. Main chore is getting water out to the adults a couple of times a day. Just glad I processed all 16 grow-outs before this cold front hit. My rex doe seems to be holding off. Started pulling hair 2 days ago, she built quite an amazing nest!

Hi Neighbor! Kits are still fine and warm this morning. Main chore is getting water out to the adults a couple of times a day. Just glad I processed all 16 grow-outs before this cold front hit. My rex doe seems to be holding off. Started pulling hair 2 days ago, she built quite an amazing nest!
Thats awesome I hate when they pull hair and its makes a small nest that comes all apart. The one ours are in is long and we think the two does who live together built it together and both had two nice litters. So we have two sizes together. Lol we didnt know they was there for day because they was buried in hay. They are getting big with their eyes all opened.

Latest posts

Back