To soak or not to soak?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
For the last few freezer camp days I have soaked my rabbits in a low salt solution. I think I had read on here that it helps leach out the blood that is left even after bleeding. Usually I allow them to soak in a changed salt bath for a couple of days and then cut them up and package them for the freezer.
What is the best way? Does soaking change the meat?I have not noticed but I don't have anything to compare since I have done it the same every time. This is not counting the first time I butchered and cooked the same night and it was tough.
I love the way the rabbit tastes now but I am worried about the salt. I don't use too much but enough to discourage growth of bacteria.

It does help pull blood out when there is blood in the meat. I don't know how much blood is left in the meat of a rabbit that has been bled out well. I've never soaked mine.

My mom has congestive heart failure, so I don't soak anything in a salt solution. As long as she doesn't take in much salt, she's fine.

just soaking them in plain water works as well. No salt needed.

I only add salt if I've chosen to do up an older doe and plan to eat her. She'd also be cooked slowly in a crock pot as well. :)

Mine hang right after their heads are off and the whole time I'm skinning and gutting, etc. They look fully bled out and 'dry', but when I bag them and toss in the freezer, while it slowly does freeze, 30min or w/e, always ends up lots of blood in the bag. I also started adding a bit of saltwater, doesn't do any different.
I don't let them "rest", no animal rests, because the meat gets so dry no matter what I do and at that point it looks so nasty and I just toss it to the dogs. Ew. No idea how you guys do it w/o it all drying and turning to smelly rubber.
So I don't know what "bled out well" even means, there's always more blood to come.

Oh, and you limit the salt you add when cooking, since the critter was already in a salt bath. So some is still soaked up in the meat.

I've never used salt/water. Always clear, coldwater from the tap.

"Bleeding-Out" is an old-old adage from years gone by. Once the heart stops pumping....very little blood loss will occur. Gravity "helps" a little when the rabbit is hung-up to skin. Without the pumping action of the heart, the blood-flow ceases. The remaining blood in the vessels coagulates very quickly and remains in place.

Grumpy

Latest posts

Back