To keep both or one ? Opinions Plz.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamerz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the correct area or if it belongs in Genetics.

I was wondering if you had two female litter mates that were now adults, would you see any point in keeping both of them ? I am not looking to produce a ton of kits, I am looking to improve on what I have for show. What I was thinking is that by keeping either one of them I'm keeping the genetics. Do you think that is right ?

These two girls look nothing alike:

Ima Bunni ~ she has the most length & density of wool of all of my JW, but her ears are 3" long (the max allowed), she is a bit large & her nose is a bit pointed.
ImaBunni.jpg

Pooka ~ is a general all around good bunny, but nothing outstanding about her.
8-29-12037.jpg

Jane

Well, the genetics would vary from rabbit to rabbit even within the same litter. If you were pressed for space and could only keep one, you'd want to keep the one who's the best concerning breed standards. Or you might want to keep the one who's colours were closest to what you were working towards.

I don't know much about breed standards, but Ima Bunni has a spectacular coat. Could you breed her to a small eared buck with a less pointy nose and then perhaps choose from her offspring? You might get something really good. Pooka is lovely too. Maybe keep both for the time being and see how their kits shape up before deciding.

It's so easy when you are breeding for meat... If you guess wrong about a rabbit's potential... well, there is always rabbit pie.

I think you answered your own question - depending of course on what bucks you have available to pair them with.

doe one has stellar wool but has some faults, but is still within the limit. If your buck is good (have you can find a GOOD buck to put her with) he should be able to help with those faults. Mind...if it's a major issue in your herd to have pointy noses then rethink what I just said (you know your herd best). :)

Doe two has "nothing outstanding" that draws you to her. If she was mine... I'd let her go. You also have the option if she's old enough to breed her to a compatible buck, get one litter (or foster it out) and then let her go to a new home.

Back