To buy or not to buy, that is the question?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millinex

Reaction score
I'm debating pretty heavily on buying the 24x24 all metal cages that my local feed store sells. They are $35, no legs/pan, but I plan to just attach them to 2x4s and sit them off the ground anyway so that's not needed. I can build slightly cheaper, but only if it's partly out of plywood, which has its ups and downs...

I'm using primarily 8-12lb females, for meat rabbits, is this honestly large enough to be used?

I feel like maybe I should just invest the extra couple bucks in real cages rather than spending all day building, especially now that I'm out of free wire that I was using..

8-12 lb females will probably need more like 24 x 30 cages :) As long as you make the cages out of the proper wire, hand making them can be a good option. Just make sure it's not hardwire cloth. You will also need growout cages.

Have you talk to any local vendors? Certain places like Tractor Supply cages SUCK. Vendors can make custom cages/orders and they are usually better than making it on your own.

Peach":2vgr2dlh said:
8-12 lb females will probably need more like 24 x 30 cages :) As long as you make the cages out of the proper wire, hand making them can be a good option. Just make sure it's not hardwire cloth. You will also need growout cages.

Have you talk to any local vendors? Certain places like Tractor Supply cages SUCK. Vendors can make custom cages/orders and they are usually better than making it on your own.

It would cost me more to buy the proper wire here than it is to actually just buy the cages pre-made. Sad but true. Right now I'm using 36x24x18 hutches for all of my females, but I'm expanding rapidly and making these cages is becoming pretty taxing to do. I've already built around a dozen and my days off aren't so much days off anymore!

Don't really have local vendors here short of one guy an hour away that charges double that for his cages, which seems a bit silly.

I would suggest buying your cages from a cage vendor. The quality is far superior to what you can buy from stores or build yourself. To save on shipping costs, I would recommend checking the ARBA website for shows in your area. Show catalogs are available online, and will list vendors that will be attending. That way you can pre-order your cages for pickup at the show.

https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php

I raise Rex primarily and have does in 24" x 30" cages. They are adequate, but larger would be even nicer. Bucks do fine in 24" x 24".

Millinex":2afa4rs0 said:
Don't really have local vendors here short of one guy an hour away that charges double that for his cages, which seems a bit silly.
[ Post details ]

There may be a significant difference in the quality of the cage wire. Gauge and GAW versus GBW make a huge difference in durability and longevity.

My 12 pound does are in 30x36 with an external nest box so it doesnt take up room in the cage and i think this is crowded with eight 4 week old kits.

Personally, I wouldn't put a 4 pound doe in a 24 x24

MamaSheepdog":3tgaoer7 said:
I would suggest buying your cages from a cage vendor. The quality is far superior to what you can buy from stores or build yourself. To save on shipping costs, I would recommend checking the ARBA website for shows in your area. Show catalogs are available online, and will list vendors that will be attending. That way you can pre-order your cages for pickup at the show.

https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php

I raise Rex primarily and have does in 24" x 30" cages. They are adequate, but larger would be even nicer. Bucks do fine in 24" x 24".

Millinex":3tgaoer7 said:
[ Post details ]

There may be a significant difference in the quality of the cage wire. Gauge and GAW versus GBW make a huge difference in durability and longevity.

The ones I looked at weren't bad feeling, but I'm certainly not interested at all in spending $70+ per cage, the way I look at it- these are meat rabbits not pets haha, neither vendor seems to have a website/info in the catalog for the only show I'd even maybe be able to make it to (work all days of shows I believe, plus the horrible drives).

Hard life ;(

The Denver and Colorado Springs craigslist's have some cages for sale right now, look to be in good shape, by not sure on sizes.

Basically in CO, unless your hitting the shows you'd better be willing to drive to get what you want for rabbits I've learned.

24x24 is too small for a doe and her litter, for sure, unless your doing dwarves. All of my breeding does (10-12 pounds) are in 30x36's. I leave the nest box in year round to give them a place to hide ( haven't had problems with this yet, no one knows the litter box concept, apparently) and that size cage seems just big enough for comfort. I still have issues with space by the time the kits reach 4 weeks old and start binking about the cage, but considering they're weaned out to their own cages at 6 weeks, momma only has to be cramped up with the little brats for a few weeks

If you want the cages to last, buy real, strong cages that are 14 or 12 gauge. They will last 30+ years.
TSC and other thinner cages won't last anywhere near that long, sag, welds will snap from constant movement.
You can find 12g floored USED cages for the price of the thin junk, and they still have tons of life in them.
Cheaper cages that are 30x30 or 30x36 are very weak and wobbly. I hate how hard it is to reach in both my 30x30 and 30x36, plus the doors are way too small. 24 inches is more than deep enough, but I guess it's more of personal preference.

You can also use cheaper thin wire for the sides and top, but use tightmesh wire shelving from Lowes/Homedepot for the floor. Most people give resting boards no matter how fancy the wire is, so don't worry about that. I have rabbits on this floor, no rest boards and no sore feet. It doesn't bend and the 6-8ft long sections can be hung by the ends with no sag.

PSFAngoras":2pymbhv2 said:
The Denver and Colorado Springs craigslist's have some cages for sale right now, look to be in good shape, by not sure on sizes.

Basically in CO, unless your hitting the shows you'd better be willing to drive to get what you want for rabbits I've learned.

24x24 is too small for a doe and her litter, for sure, unless your doing dwarves. All of my breeding does (10-12 pounds) are in 30x36's. I leave the nest box in year round to give them a place to hide ( haven't had problems with this yet, no one knows the litter box concept, apparently) and that size cage seems just big enough for comfort. I still have issues with space by the time the kits reach 4 weeks old and start binking about the cage, but considering they're weaned out to their own cages at 6 weeks, momma only has to be cramped up with the little brats for a few weeks
The stackers you mean? I've emailed I never get a response.

That's very expensive... I would say just get on Amazon and find some cheaper ones.

Actually that's cheap. I stopped by my feedstore in need of something to hold a rabbit real quick back when I started and they were %50 with no pan, legs, etc... Even that is crap quality. I wouldn't trust a $35 cage from a feedstore. For some reason every rabbit put in the feedstore cages I have develop hock sores and it never happens in the cages I bought from a rabbit specific vendor. The wire is supposedly the same gauge and spacing. They also rust out sooner than vendor cages. There's absolutely no way I'd stick a rabbit in an amazon cage. I plan to get the triple stack from bass when I have the money.

akane":1bskicw1 said:
That's very expensive... I would say just get on Amazon and find some cheaper ones.

Actually that's cheap. I stopped by my feedstore in need of something to hold a rabbit real quick back when I started and they were %50 with no pan, legs, etc... Even that is crap quality. I wouldn't trust a $35 cage from a feedstore. For some reason every rabbit put in the feedstore cages I have develop hock sores and it never happens in the cages I bought from a rabbit specific vendor. The wire is supposedly the same gauge and spacing. They also rust out sooner than vendor cages. There's absolutely no way I'd stick a rabbit in an amazon cage. I plan to get the triple stack from bass when I have the money.
They seemed pretty sturdy when I handled the one they had built for display, of course, these will all be kept inside an insulated barn away from the elements as well, not worried about weather. Maybe I just need to try one.

Well, I tried to edit that to "pretty expensive", I don't know why it didn't work.

At our TSC we can get cages that size for 25.00. Pans are an extra 20.00 though.

My only cages are just absolutely fabulous. Well built, sturdy, and a good size. But I have NO idea where they came from!

I would buy something a little bigger for rabbits that big.

You don't have to overthink where to get your cages from. Nothing is permanent or set in stone. If these cages will work for you and save you a headache of hunting some down or ordering or building, then get them. If they don't last 30 years, that's okay because your rabbit project might not either. If they last a few years and then you want to upgrade, you might have a better idea of what you want/need/can afford at that time. If you decide they suck before they wear out, sell them on craigslist or offer them as a package deal if you sell some rabbits, then buy some better ones. Or get the easy ones now to buy some time to build some you like. Do whatever works for you for your situation right now. If you look through the picture galleries you will see 80,000 different set ups, cage types, and styles from all different sources so obviously it's not as big a deal as you'd think ;)

:yeahthat:

I've had rabbits for about a year, and have already re-done my cages. Go with what you're comfortable with.

I do agree, however, on the size thing. My cages are currently 42"x30".

i have two TSC cages, both spent all winter outside. One is done for and one is fine. Hit or miss. I have also used the cheaper wire to build cages, and they are on year three. They require many more ties/clips.

If I had the money and given the choice, I'd order from Bass. Eventually I will replace all my cages with Bass cages, and I've started that with the Woolies.

Except for woolies, my smallest cages are 24x30, the largest one 48 x 30, not counting the grow out pen.

Hate to start a new topic- but I'm looking at making some cages tomorrow, and I'm curious about how people feel about the sizes of:
20x30 and 24x30 for females?

I'm debating going to using all those sizes and seeing how they do, I have one 20x30 I built today and the lop I have in it seems more than content in a cage that size. I'm planning to wean kits early and get them out of moms cage as fast as possible to ease stress on the cage being too small for a litter + mom. Currently I'm using an 8' grow out pen and plan to make at least 2 more as grow out pens as well.

I'm in a similar boat. I can buy 24 x 24 locally for $25 (believe 14g side, 16g floors). The cost for me to build one from scratch would be $15 just for the wire, by the time I add a door and clips I might save $3-$4. 12g or 14g cages cost way way more than that and I'd have to drive forever, pay a fortune in shipping or wait for a show. As for 16g 1/2 x 1 floors I have them in several cages for around a year indoors and wear is negligible. Biggest rabbit I have in them is 5lbs. Sadly for me to hold out for a top notch cage would probably cost $100 each with shipping.

ckcs":13r97ss1 said:
I'm in a similar boat. I can buy 24 x 24 locally for $25 (believe 14g side, 16g floors). The cost for me to build one from scratch would be $15 just for the wire, by the time I add a door and clips I might save $3-$4. 12g or 14g cages cost way way more than that and I'd have to drive forever, pay a fortune in shipping or wait for a show. As for 16g 1/2 x 1 floors I have them in several cages for around a year indoors and wear is negligible. Biggest rabbit I have in them is 5lbs. Sadly for me to hold out for a top notch cage would probably cost $100 each with shipping.
How much is 1x2 and 1x1/2 wire where you are? I found some at my local lowes for $16 a roll. Bought the clips $4 which will last me several cages..

Picked up 4 rolls of wire at $18 each after tax last night (I had a coupon but we won't count that) and it would have been right at $72. This can build 6 cages in a row that are 20"x30"x15" tall (seems short, but it seems to work so far). Lets say I use half the clips (which I probably don't need that many) that's another $2.

I don't use the door clips that are sold. It's very easy to bend a coat hanger/other thick piece of sturdy wire into a working clip to hold the doors I'm sure you have some extra hangers somewhere...

Comes out to be $12.33 a cage. Just stack them on 2x4s and put some rubbermaids under neath or something that you have laying around. I'm sure if you really wanted to spend money you could end up buying everything and still ending up saving $5-10 per cage ;)

Latest posts

Back