Tired, sad and peturbed right now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
I hope yo9u don't mind me posting here, but this is something I feel only rabbit people would understand. I have posted here in the past, but not for a while.

I have bred rabbits for years, mostly breeding my own crosses for meat. I was never particularly interested in having pedigreed stock because my focus was on type, size and temperament.

A year ago I was diagnosed with heart failure. I stopped working (ie. for s0omeone else) and concentrated on caring for my own stock which was quite extensive.

All went well until September when I got pneumonia, it really knocked me for six and I had to get a friend to help me feed my rabbits, I just couldn't cope.

Then my partner got sick and spent four months in hospital between November and March, I stayed with him as much as I could, and came home every third day to feed and water the stock, but I was exhausted and was really ashamed because I was going such a poor job.

One day I ran out of feed while in one of the rabbit sheds. I always close the doors when I leave, but that day I just didn't have the strength to push the door shut. Knowing I'd soon be back I left it open. Even though I was only gone a few minutes one of my dogs jumped into a pen (I colony raise) and killed one of my favourite does. She had a three day old litter, and I was devastated.

At that moment I decided the rabbits had to go. I just couldn't care for them anymore.

Over the next few weeks I sold or gave away all my best stock with the exception of a few of my favourites. Even so, I've still got more rabbits than I can really handle.

It's tearing me in two. I know they need to go, but I just can't make myself do it.

(hugs)

You have been hit with some hard knocks Ivory. You are probably still reeling.

No one but you can decide if you can give the rabbits what they need right now. But I do know this- any decision you make now doesn't have to be the last decision you make.

If you can't deal with the rabbits now, you'll know that and make the right choice. Six months from now, things may look totally different for you and you may want to get back into rabbits. You know what? Six months from now, there will be rabbits out there for you.

And we'll always be here to cheer you on, no matter your decision.

*prayers for healing and peace for you and your partner*

Oh, Ivory, I'm so sorry you've had such an awful time! :cry:

My mom has congestive heart failure, and it has slowed her down a good bit. I hope your doctor's able to work things to where you can have some energy back.

And maybe you can still hold on to one or two favorite buns. :) Or have someone care for them for a while, and then get them back later. Or maybe you can get a new rabbit or two later, like Hoodat did.

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry, Ivory! :( That is a very hard situation you are facing.

Perhaps you can hang onto a few rabbits, future foundation stock, and automate feeding and watering somewhat. It's spring and we don't have to cope with frozen water. Perhaps a five gallon bucket with these cool little dishes attached as int he link below and a large hopper for feed would let you keep at least some. Then when things improve, you will be able to build your herd back up again. It's just a suggestion... Only you can decide. Whatever you do, know that you can come here and find supportive advice. Even if you decide to let all your rabbits go, we want to be here for you... So please feel free to post anytime.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/mini-cup-waterers.html

Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately, knowing what I should do and actually doing it are two very different things.

I know I can keep going through the summer, after all I just got through the winter didn't I - even if I didn't enjoy it much.

What I should do is sell the remaining stock that are worth having and feed the rest to the dogs.

What I would really like to do is downsize even more than I have done already and then get some more purebred stock and just concentrate on breeding a few good quality rabbits as pets.

I am going to a sale on Saturday, I see there is a trio of Blue Havanas for sale, I know it is lunacy, but I really want to buy them.

Mad as a hatter!! I'm hopeless when it comes to rabbits.

What the others said! {{{{{Hugs}}}}}!! Praying for complete recovery for you and your partner!

I'm so sorry for the situation you are faced with right now. ((((HUGS)))) I hope your health recovers, and that you find the strength to make the decisions you need to make.

Thanks everyone.

I went to see the cardiologist yesterday, he says my heart is much better than the last time I saw him. I go for another heart echo in July. It will be interesting to see if it has improved since the one I had in January.

I've been having a few thoughts on how I can make things easier for myself next winter as I really don't want to quit breeding rabbits. One of the things is to build some wire bottom cages. Right now all my rabbits are in solid bottom cages on straw, I like to see them that way, but it sure makes a lot of work.

even if you put your growers/for sale bunnies on wire would make a big difference. :)

I would hesitate picking up new buns until you've firmed up a bit what to do with some of your other buns (hopeless about buns or not). :) Can you bring some of your other buns to the sale and let them go? Kind of a bring in three but let five or six go?

If you did that then it makes the letting go easier to do.

As I said in the first post, I sold all my breeding stock that was worth having in March.

Right now I have nothing (I'm willing to part with) anyone would want even if it was free. I'm not willing to sell people rubbish, and I'm too soft to hit them on the head.

Latest posts

Back