tips to clam down 9 week old rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi i have six nine week old champagne D'argent that are on the wild side there okay with being petted on for the most part but dont like to be picked up at all does any one have any tips on how to get them to tame down and get them being use to being picked up i have been trying to handle them more but they just freak out and ive heard of a rabbit breaking there back from trying to jump while being held sould i just process these or is there hope for them to clam down i cant even tell sex really for sure because there just so freaked about being picked up they go to jumping and kicking and im scared of them breaking there backs

My rabbits are like that, except they only kick, and once I get them on their backs they settle down (for the most part...). This is what I did/am doing:
first, pet them while they eat. Eating is something they enjoy and they focus on it (more likely to ignore you). Hand feed them too. Every time you come to their hutch, give them some food from your hand (they will associate you with yummy food). When getting them used to being petted, gradually increase until you can pet their head, ears, back, hips, and sides. Then start slowly sliding your hand underneath them while they are eating. Gradually increase your pressure upwards and length of time your hand is there. You can also do the same thing when they aren't eating, and you just give them a treat after you move your hand. Also, you can try all of this while they are chewing, digging, or are otherwise preoccupied.

You can also try picking them up in for a small amount of time, but frequently. Eventually they will come to realize that it isn't a threat. When you put them back down, put them down facing you- so they won't bolt to freedom. And try to hold on to them until they stop struggling, if that's possible. Plus, you might want to wear gloves and long sleeves...

The only way to tame them is to handle them. At that age, when 'catching' them, you can place your hand over its back and press it down against the floor of the cage to stop it from running, then get a good handful of the loose skin over the neck and shoulders to pick it up. Then get a hold of the back feet - expect twisting and even screaming - but keep a good firm hold. Then hold the head in against your chest, with a good grip on the hind legs, and squeeze against your body. They usually calm down at this point. Put the head under your upper arm (between arm and body), keeping a hold of those hind legs and behind the neck. Carry them around a bit, or find a place to sit down with the bun. When it is calm let it poke its head out and look around. You can let go of the hind end but keep a hand over the shoulders at all times, be ready to press down and get a grip on the loose skin if it starts to freak again.

Back