Tips for new breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bunch of hutches and am getting more tomorrow. I have 3 big meat rabbits that appear to be a cross between a New Zealand White and an American Chinchilla. I have a doe coming tomorrow with two bucks that are all three Silver Fox and my friend who is living in same house *We have a farmstead composed of two families***Long story*** has a daughter with a Silver Fox. I also bought a Netherland Dwarf *I plan to buy him a little girlfriend in a bit :)* I currently have 2 rabbit hutches set up and I have a large cage downstairs for my Netherland. I am picking up 5 tomorrow I think 3 large ones and 2 small like travel sized ones. I do plan to buy/build more hutches

sounds like you can start right away or wait for them to settle into their new homes first. just make sure you have nest boxes when the does need them and you should be good!

I have two right now. But I'm going to make more here soon. I also believe the person I'm buying the Silver Foxes from has at least 1 I believe he said it was the rabbits, hutches and all so I'm pretty excited to go get them in the morning :)

I'll just share some things I've learned so far. This is my 3rd year raising rabbits.
1. If you want kits to stay white and not get nest box eye, clean out the nest box after about 7-9 days. Putting drainage holes in the bottom of the nest box is a good idea.
2. Don't make assumptions without the facts i.e., I thought ONLY BOY rabbits peed on you, so if they peed on me, they were boys. I also thought that I would be able to tell if my rabbit was pregnant just by looking at it because it's just like humans, right? Yeah...no.
3. Even if you don't think you'll be any good at palpating, watch videos to get a feel for what to do, and attempt it on a buck, then your potentially pregnant doe. Keep comparing them until you think you may have a feel even if you're wrong the first few times.
4. Not naming kits really DOES help you not get too attached.
Those ware just a few things I can think of. :)

The_Dutchess":4o1w68ct said:
I'll just share some things I've learned so far. This is my 3rd year raising rabbits.
1. If you want kits to stay white and not get nest box eye, clean out the nest box after about 7-9 days. Putting drainage holes in the bottom of the nest box is a good idea.
2. Don't make assumptions without the facts i.e., I thought ONLY BOY rabbits peed on you, so if they peed on me, they were boys. I also thought that I would be able to tell if my rabbit was pregnant just by looking at it because it's just like humans, right? Yeah...no.
3. Even if you don't think you'll be any good at palpating, watch videos to get a feel for what to do, and attempt it on a buck, then your potentially pregnant doe. Keep comparing them until you think you may have a feel even if you're wrong the first few times.
4. Not naming kits really DOES help you not get too attached.
Those ware just a few things I can think of. :)
Don't name the kits. Lol are you telling me not to look and touch the cute little things and take pictures and change their names and their gender changes cause they are growing and becoming slowly more definable? lol I like to play with my babies from day one XD bad habit can't do it anymore. Boyfriend wants me to say "I'm so smiff"?

Are you looking to eat what you produce, sell meat rabbits or sell meat rabbit breeders? Knowing your plan will help us help you.

Everybody needs a month in quarantine. I wouldn't breed during the heat of summer, and I wouldn't breed until they all settle in and you have grow out cages ready. Get yourself a notebook and be ready to keep track of everything- breeding dates, litter sizes, weights, etc.

And, honestly, you need to do a lot of basic rabbit reading before you start breeding. Some of your past posts indicate you would do well to learn some more before you get going. Your confusion about the sex of mature buns is not a great indicator that you're ready to start breeding. Yes, I know that's harsh, and I apologize, but I would hate to see a future post about some catastrophe that may have been avoidable with more research ahead of time. Get the buns, take the summer, and read read read. Go to the sub-forums on breeding, kindling and care of kits and read everything. Tips in a single thread aren't enough.

Again, sorry for being harsh. I truly am looking to help you prevent problems.

I agree about the reading, and it is ok to learn some things as you go, but I would get a good basic feel for things. Make sure you have enough time and attention that you care to devote. Decide which approach you like better. You can always change your mind if you want to, but an idea will be good. Some people are happy with a colony situation and basically let nature take its course, others (like me) feel the need to be more in control and create as ideal of a situation as possible. I have 18 kits in the house tonight because I wont sleep if they aren't. I will worry they will get cold or eaten by ants or rats or something. I would go slow until you know your Does. They can pretty much do anything and you need to learn what they are like before pregnancy and give them some space and go slow as you learn how they are during and after pregnancy. Most will do just fine but plenty of people have reached in to almost get an arm torn off from an unsuspecting Doe.....I did not know a whole lot about rabbits before we started but I did grow up on a farm around a lot of other animals. You are the one who knows how experienced you are and what your comfort level is, but just don't be in a huge hurry that ends up causing you more heartache. We don't usually name too many of our kits either. The last one we did name "peanut butter" and her new owner has so far kept the name. As far as planning for whatever could come up, keep checking this foreum and read a lot of peoples posts. Especially the ones who indicate sickness or trouble of some kind. I have learned almost all I know about rabbits from rabbittalk. And when googled I have found people on here to be really accurate.

Marinea":10fu71ki said:
Are you looking to eat what you produce, sell meat rabbits or sell meat rabbit breeders? Knowing your plan will help us help you.

Everybody needs a month in quarantine. I wouldn't breed during the heat of summer, and I wouldn't breed until they all settle in and you have grow out cages ready. Get yourself a notebook and be ready to keep track of everything- breeding dates, litter sizes, weights, etc.

And, honestly, you need to do a lot of basic rabbit reading before you start breeding. Some of your past posts indicate you would do well to learn some more before you get going. Your confusion about the sex of mature buns is not a great indicator that you're ready to start breeding. Yes, I know that's harsh, and I apologize, but I would hate to see a future post about some catastrophe that may have been avoidable with more research ahead of time. Get the buns, take the summer, and read read read. Go to the sub-forums on breeding, kindling and care of kits and read everything. Tips in a single thread aren't enough.

Again, sorry for being harsh. I truly am looking to help you prevent problems.
I've spent the past five days researching and the sex confusion happened to be due to the fact I've only really had females. I've learned a lot about breeding and have many more cages for growouts,etc. I just bought 3 rabbits from a guy that came with 3 surprise babies. So now I have 3 more rabbits I suppose huh?. I've bred before and I'm not going very big right now I'm keeping it pretty simple I've also already found people who are interested in babies. As far as exactly what I wanna do I wanna sell meat rabbits and keep some for our homestead. My rabbits tend to have large litters so I'm not TOO concerned about it. Breeding during summer is a no go for me unless we put them in the dirt room where the goats sleep. It's always pretty cool down in there even in the hot heat of summer. I'm definitely prepared to do this even though I've had some fails and flops. The mis-sexed rabbits I posted about once before the two that were thought to be boys but were girls weren't sexed by me at first. My dad said they were boys I found out upon looking they weren't. There are still a few things I don't know but some of it comes with experience not reading. <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:57 pm -- <br /><br />
macksmom98":10fu71ki said:
I agree about the reading, and it is ok to learn some things as you go, but I would get a good basic feel for things. Make sure you have enough time and attention that you care to devote. Decide which approach you like better. You can always change your mind if you want to, but an idea will be good. Some people are happy with a colony situation and basically let nature take its course, others (like me) feel the need to be more in control and create as ideal of a situation as possible. I have 18 kits in the house tonight because I wont sleep if they aren't. I will worry they will get cold or eaten by ants or rats or something. I would go slow until you know your Does. They can pretty much do anything and you need to learn what they are like before pregnancy and give them some space and go slow as you learn how they are during and after pregnancy. Most will do just fine but plenty of people have reached in to almost get an arm torn off from an unsuspecting Doe.....I did not know a whole lot about rabbits before we started but I did grow up on a farm around a lot of other animals. You are the one who knows how experienced you are and what your comfort level is, but just don't be in a huge hurry that ends up causing you more heartache. We don't usually name too many of our kits either. The last one we did name "peanut butter" and her new owner has so far kept the name. As far as planning for whatever could come up, keep checking this foreum and read a lot of peoples posts. Especially the ones who indicate sickness or trouble of some kind. I have learned almost all I know about rabbits from rabbittalk. And when googled I have found people on here to be really accurate.

I know my 3 does well I've raised the three myself. The other rabbit is a bit iffy as far as I'm concerned but she has chilled out and became more friendly since having a buddy *One of my does**She is super mellow* Her owner *Living with us* says she is pretty chill and relaxed and that her friend died of a heart attack when their house burned down and since then she has been edgey. So I'm kinda waiting with her. Even though I didn't quarantine cause at the moment everything was ridiculously crazy she is ok and so are all of mine. I do have a doe with kits and she has ear mites *She was sitting on a pile of shit and piss filled hay about a foot deep *I've cleaned it out it was horrible *She came from a school near me her and two bucks will post more about her later* I found some natural remedies to mites and plan to treat her and both bucks for it. She is also pretty tore up because the owner kept a buck with her in the cage *She is missing a patch of fur and has some bite marks *I put some plantain salve on it so it will heal right up* I've watched like 50 videos of rabbit breeders and read at least 30 articles about rabbits and all sorts of stuff for them. Although I've never dealt with mites I plan to defeat them naturally so wish me luck!

It sounds like you have a plan. That's great. A few more things to think about:

- selling rabbits for meat, you will likely get folks asking you to butcher for them. Are you prepared to do that and have you considered any price change for doing it?

- no matter what you do, sometimes kits (or adults) will have to be put down due to illness/injury. Do you have a plan for that?

As I live in your general area, I will add this: most folks looking for meat rabbits to raise around here are looking for either purebred New Zealands or Californians. They are generally rural folks who know about breeding stock. Be prepared to answer questions on lines, litter sizes, and grow out rates.

Finally, when you get ready to start, scour local ads, newspaper and Craigslist. See what is being sold in your area and the prices. See if you can maybe fill a niche.

I have some Silver Foxes purebred that are huge. We are planning on getting something along the lines of a hopper popper. The little V shaped thing that detached the spinal cord. It's how any rabbit will be killed except for sick kits whose neck will be broke. I was thinking of doing a price by pound if I butcher myself. As far as price goes for a live meat rabbit I was thinking maybe $5-15? I have scoured ads and everything but not found anything good yet really except for bigger breeders who are just a bit out of my driveable as far as my car wise goes. <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:20 pm -- <br /><br /> Sorry if I didn't reply to everything my little kitten came onto my laptop and distracted me and I forgot if I had more to say haha

Latest posts

Back