Tips for 'friendlier' rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerKat

Reaction score
I got my trio from a breeder that admittedly didn't handle their rabbits often. They really dislike being touched or held. One of my does is a growler.

Any tips on winning them over? Would you guys recommend more handling, rather than giving them space? Any special treats your rabbits really go for? I'd really like for my breeders to be able to be picked up and examined frequently without causing them (or myself) too much stress.

I appreciate any input, thanks!

Be predictable and teach them sitting still is how you get rid of people.
Pretty much all of my rabbits are fine being petted, but being picked up depends more on the individual. Knowing how and being certain about picking them up helps. Flipping them over so they are on their back and bum is higher than head helps. So does covering the eyes (hand or letting them hide their head under your arm/vest). Keep them close to you so they feel supported and restrained at the same time. Then there is no room too wriggle, but also no need too.

Treats that have made mine look forward to seeing me are almost always leafy greens. Weeds from the yard, edible flowers, sunflower seeds (the kind for birds--not salted) occasional berries, vegetable scraps like broccoli stems and carrot tops--variety is fun for them too. They will look forward to seeing what you have for them if nothing else.

From there you touch them a little gently, and so on. I do not have the time or patience to get adults to like being picked up, so I scruff and bury their head under my arm, and they settle, but they do not like it. My angora buck, who is groomed constantly thru his life, you can pick up like a cat. He is not excited about it, but he doesn't resist at all either. You can basically hold him in any position, but I find that I have to start with babies to do that.

I got a doe from a breeder that never handles his stock, and with patience and plenty of dandelion greens, she is now looking for attention and pushes her nose out to be petted. And my daughter caught a young feral doe of about 6 months of age that now loves her to pieces, even though we breed her for meat bunnies.

I will say with the babies, picking them up often, carrying them around, grooming them, giving treats away from their homebase/cage all contribute to a rabbit that is happier to be held. the idea is that it can't always be just nail trimming that gets them picked up, sometimes it has to be pleasant for them.

People who have our rabbits comment that we have the happiest and friendliest bunnies. It is all of the above excellent info that creates happy buns with great temperments. You can even win over those very independent buns with time and patience. Key is lots of sweet talk, strokes, and some treats as above! I have one rabbit that was a total tyrant. She is my favorite pet now, lol but still does not like to be picked up. They are amazing creatures and yes I agree about the cat comparison, you have to learn their language, sometimes they want all your attention, others it's I need my own time thank you very much, not in the mood!!!

Latest posts

Back