Three strikes for Ella?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdBrook

Reaction score
Well, I went out of my way and managed to get a great set up for my doe, Ella to be cared for when her due date approached (since I had to move an hour away and take care of my former MIL who fell on her new knee replacement and broke her shoulder badly) but, it's day 37 and no kits. I'm thinking she failed to take a second time. I was sure hoping to get more than one litter from this NZW doe. She seemed to take without any issues the first time with just one session in Zeke's cage and had 8 lovely kits. Next two breedings, all seemed to go well with the cover. Zeke seemed to have done his part, but so far, nothing but a grumpy doe making a major mess in her nesting box and the house.

How likely is it that it's her, not the buck? They're my only breeding pair. My young does aren't old enough to breed yet (4 months) and Ella's just turning 2 and this would have been her 3rd litter...first two, no issues, perfect Mom from the very start! I'm going to give her till Day 40 then try breeding back to Zeke one last time.

If it doesn't take this time, would it be acceptable to breed her to her son who will be just 5 months old at that time or is he too young to try? He's about 6.5 pounds right now as a 4 month old.

It sure sounds like she missed again, but a few members have been surprised with very late litters.

As long as her son's testicles are descended you can breed to him.

Latest posts

Back