Three NEW does arrived last night

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugzy4Lady

Reaction score
Well my three new NZW does arrived last night, they are just 9 weeks old so breeding them will be way off in the summer but still I am excited to be increasing my "herd". Although my husband probably thinks otherwise. :lol: The only problem is they seem so wild. I received them from a very good breeder that has excellent stock but I don't think that they were handled very much. I spoil all of my kids, so they are very use to human contact. In fact they were so wild that last night when I went to pet the one, who just happened to be in the top cage took off flying around in the cage and jumped over my arm and landed on the concrete floor-ouch! It received a bloody nose but seems to be alright this morning. But when I walked by her cage she began flying around in it. I plan on just leaving them alone and not try to pet them for about a week and then slowly get them use to me being around their cage. Does this sound like a good idea to others? I just figure they have been through alot and I don't want to over stress them.

Wow, go speed racer, go! :x That was one panicked rabbit! I'm glad she only bloodied her nose.

I always try to talk to the rabbits before entering the BunnyBarn, otherwise my sudden appearance out of nowhere startles them and they bounce around like ping pong balls. I would talk to the new ones and maybe lay my arm near the front of the cage so they don't feel overly threatened. Spend time with your other rabbits where they can see you, or even just sit there and read a book. They may feel safe enough to take a treat offered through the cage wire, especially if you give some to their neighbor first- preferably something they can't just rip out of your hand, like hay or dried wheat bread. If they wont come up and take it after a little bit, just lay it on the wire for them and try again later.

Congratulations on your growing herd! I'm sure you will get them tamed down before too long. :)

I usually wait three days then start handling them.I have had older rabbits calm right down that were unused too being handled.

Well so far I am happy to report that two of them have really calmed down. They do not run from me when I come up to the cage and even sniff at my finger when I put it through the cage door. The other one is a different story she is still crazy, this is the one who took a dive out the door and received a bloody nose for her efforts. Since she is in the top cage I would like to move her but afraid to since she might try another escape. I will continue to talk to them and hopefully she will settle down. If not I just may have to find a unique name for her, any suggestions?

i always start talking as soon as i walk in the door. when i had really skittish buns i would tap on the door before i opened it. if i walk in without saying anything even my calmest buns will start freaking out. they HAVE to hear my voice. i would give them a week or two and then take them out individually one at a time and let them run around in teh same room as you. when i socialize kits i take one out at a time and let it run around on my bed while i read or work on my laptop. they sometimes sit at the end of the bed like a statue for a while, but eventually they come up to me and start bouncing :)

Latest posts

Back