Thoughts on types of food

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of it, but why wouldn't you use it, Dennis?

Giving a reason will help the asker to decide whether it applies to them or not, and also to know what to look for and possibly avoid in other feeds. :)

If you go to a regular grain mill, you can ask them questions about their
products. The one I go to, has a nutrionist on the staff. All I would have
to do is to make a appt with him to sit down and discuss any questions that
I have.
I have not done this yet, as I usually talk to the owner and he so far, has
answered any questions that I have had. My concern so far, has been with the
protein % in the chicken feed that I buy. I also read labels a lot on bags
of grain. I want to know what I am putting into my animals. I feed other
grain in additon to the pellets. I do a mix every morning for that day for
our chickens and the rabbits.

One of the chicken grains I use is a blue seal. I buy grain because of price.
I can't afford the big $$ brand names. The rabbit grain I am currently using
is Purina. Only kind this mill carries.

I feed Nutrena and it works for me.
I am of the belief that you end up culling your herd to your feed.
If your rabbits are doing well and prosper, there is no reason to change your feed.
The only thing I will say is: My rabbits did not do well on Blue Seal Feed!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I agree with OtterSatin. Feed what you want, and those that don't do well will make themselves culls until the herd is stable. Each herd is a little different. What works for one person may not work for everyone. For instance, I will not feed any Purina products, but lots of people do and it's fine. Someone suggested that you should not feed TSC brand, but if I don't feed Purina, that's all there is left, so I've been feeding it for a month and no one has died. They blew their coats the first time, but there is a lower % of protein and not the best quality protein source, so I had to compensate for that.

I live in the city, there is no grain mill within 60 miles plus, so I'm stuck buying whatever is at TSC, the only feed store around. Sometimes you have to just choose and make do. Feed what your budget and conscience dictates (and hope they are the same thing).

Back