thoughts on line breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintrider89

Reaction score
Hey all, even though I plan on getting myself a rabbit book, I have some questions about line breeding. I bred my doe to her half brother and got a beautiful bun of buns. However next time around I would like to use her dad. As he is the maim producer of the tri colored harleys I like so well. So I know in some animals that's ok. What's the story with line breeding rabbits?

Works great. :)

I started breeding two years ago, with two does and one buck. All of mine are heavily linebred/inbred, and I am getting some really nice rabbits now.

So what are the linebreeding crosses you can do? Mother to son, father to daughter, brothers to sisters

Anything goes. I have two brother/sister litters right now.

There was an experiment conducted once where they crossed brother to sister for over twenty generations without any problems.

I have heard that decreased litter sizes overall are an indicator that it is time to introduce new blood.

I have a brother sister litter out of a closely line bred line. Today I went to breed one of the does out of that litter today and I put her in the wrong cage so she's now bred to her brother both are incredibly typey and meaty. However if I get anything strange I'll certainly post it here.

Well that's good to hear. I may get an outside buck as well. Then I could add new blood. Then breed said new blood kits back to the orig. bloodline?

One more question. Good books to pick up. If I can read it I can learn it.

If you joint the ARBA, they send you a book (storey's guide to raising rabbits) and you get a subscription to the Domestic Rabbits magazine. :) WELL worth it!!!!!!!!!

As to linebreeding...DO IT. ;) It exaggerates traits...good AND bad...so as long as you cull hard, you should see great results. In fact I know some people who had excellent rabbits who were all so crazy inbred it would make your head spin, all were awesome rabbits...and then they added a nice outside buck, and BAM, crazy looking weirdness all over the place! :x I'm still settling in my foundation stock for my Mini Rex, but all my Champagnes will descend from just two rabbits. ;)

My 'bible' is Rabbit Production by McNitt, Lukfahr et al. It's pricey in the latest edition but older editions are available and it's the definitive work on meat rabbit production. It's the easiest textbook I've ever read.

paintrider89":2u7vf5xc said:
Ok. One more. How about a doe to her sure wgo is also her granddad

you mean doe x sire who is also grandsire?

if that's what you mean I've done breedings like that with my dutch and they worked out fine. just make sure you cull for thee best and ONLY thee best and you should be fine.

ohiogoatgirl":1zus3at2 said:
paintrider89":1zus3at2 said:
Ok. One more. How about a doe to her sure wgo is also her granddad

you mean doe x sire who is also grandsire?

if that's what you mean I've done breedings like that with my dutch and they worked out fine. just make sure you cull for thee best and ONLY thee best and you should be fine.

Exactly, tolerate NO major flaws and think hard before tolerating minor ones!!! Best of the best, cull the rest!

I had a doe once that I bred to her son, and then kept back a son from each litter to breed her to for the next four generations. By the last breeding, the entire litter looked *just* like her - nice type, nice size, nice coat and perfect color. I am a hands-on learner, and seeing this, and culling for the best of each litter, was a great lesson for me.

Linebreeding is a great tool. Especially, when it's hard to find other healthy quality stock. I have done it with both our goats and rabbits. In regards to both species i've been able to fix certain things that were severely lacking in both. If you have a good eye and common sense then there is nothing wrong with linebreeding/inbreeding!

Back