This is why I pull nest boxes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnClaire

Reaction score
Day 5 and the kits were doing great, mom was feeding them and had plenty of milk, she pulled extra fur the day after kindling.

It got chilly last night, but the kits were nice and toasty when I fed and watered just before sundown.

Went out this morning to water and found 4 dead, chilled kits with full milk bellies. It looks like when mom went in to nurse, she shoved too much of the nesting material apart and the poor babies just couldn't find a warm spot! I feel really crummy about it being my fault!

One was even a broken black Tuxedo patterned! BooHoo!

Aww. Sorry, AnnClaire.

I know you must feel awful since you usually bring them in, but most of us do not and the popples do fine.

It wasn't your fault. :encourage:

I am so sorry! :( I had something similar happen to a litter of mine, so I know how you feel. It wasn't your fault. Don't blame yourself.

sorry :( it happens now and again, have 2 that are great moms, both lost their last litters. 1 urinated in the box for some odd reason and they froze, the other did the same as yours and moved too much material. I kicked myself but there is nothing we can do. again sorry for your loss.

Thanks ... it is really hard when I have been quite successful in eliminating the NBE, deaths to cold/neglect, and just didn't take in to consideration just how "ignorant" first time moms can be :(

The doe is also really upset with me right now ... jumping and lunging a bit at feeding time. I need to get her out for an extended grooming session and some one-on-one time. Poor girl is really missing those babies!

Latest posts

Back