This is so confusing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gulien

Reaction score
There are so many names for the colours, plus figuring out the genotype, the more I read the more confused I get. :cry:

I have a doe who is brown with black ticking, there are rings of colour when you blow on the fur, and she has a white underside & eye rings.

Is she a chocolate agouti, chocolate chinchilla, or something else entirely?

I believe her sire was a NZW, and her dam a Flemish, marked sort of like a flame point Siamese cat.

Any ideas about correct colour and/or genotype?
Thanks. :)

The NZWs can hide any color, so if you post a couple of pics, it will be easier for members to determine her color. Make sure to get one showing the ring color. :)

She sounds like an agouti-something to me, with the rings- but genetics make my head hurt, so that is the best I can offer. :oops:

I am trying to learn all this color stuff myself but yes pictures and one of this flame point Flemish just cause would be nice :)

chocolate agouti,
Chocolate is not a common colour in either of her parents breeds so it is highly unlikely. Chocolate can also cause the eye to have a lighter brown shade and a reddish tinge in certain light.

chocolate chinchilla
This colour rabbit would not have any yellow in the fur but be chocolate with white tips.

I agree she is likely a chestnut (AKA black agouti)

marked sort of like a flame point Siamese cat.
I must say I have never seen a rabbit this colour. Could it have been a light fawn, like in the picture?

Attachments

• fawn flemmish.jpg
    fawn flemmish.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 671
I don't own the parents, so no pics of them. Memory could be foggy, but the ones I was told were the Flemish moms were sort of a creamy colour with reddish points. No guarantees they were purebred anything, though.

My doe probably does have Flemish, as she seems to have heavier bone structure. I'm having trouble uploading pics from my phone. :?

Edited to add: apparently I cannot upload them from the library computers either, due to "inappropriate" content?????????????? AAAARRRGGGHHHH!! Somebody has an over-zealous filter!

gulien":idlr4k50 said:
Edited to add: apparently I cannot upload them from the library computers either, due to "inappropriate" content?????????????? AAAARRRGGGHHHH!! Somebody has an over-zealous filter!

The library computer is overzealous? Or RT?

If it is RT, post about it in Bug Reports and Support.

bug-reports-and-support-f26.html

Maybe as you browse, you can find a color that looks like it, and send us a link. There are a few good sites that have pictures with the colors.

It's the library's computer that is the problem, too many firewalls.

I think she is a chestnut (black) agouti, as dood and RRR said. There is a wide band of slate-blue at the bottom of the hair shaft, then an orange-y ring, topped by a dark brown ring.

I think the genotype would be: A_B_C_D_E_

I bred her to a Satin Chinchilla buck, strictly for FC candidates. I believe his genotype would be: A_B_ch3_D_E_ I am very curious to see the colours produced, and figure out the missing genes from there.

ch3 is another way of saying chinchilla dark = chd

ch1 is chinchilla light (AKA shaded) =chl

and ch2 is chinchilla medium that is almost never discussed, some dont believe it exists. I too I thought was a myth, until my my most recent litters when my AmChins started popping out bordeine frosty's when bred back to a son/nephew and I KNOW they dont have non-extension (although one doe does)

This photo is from a Kijiji ad for NZxFlemish rabbits. The one in front, on the right looks like my rabbit's dam. What would this color be called?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 579
Tortoiseshell(not to be confused with the cat colour)

Although it is a very odd looking tort. Ive never really seen anything like it! I believe it is due to a very high concentration of rufus factor and/or wideband. I have see some Dutch torts have a similar shade.

If you bred a black and a fawn rabbit, both colours are permitted in Flemish Giants, and then you bred the kits togeather, you would get some torts like these.

I was confused, I keep hearing about flame point rabbit that look like cats. Well a flame point cat looks like this:
249163-cats-siamese-kitten.jpg

Is this waht the rabbit in question looks like?
327-1.jpg

or

435-1.jpg

Thanks dood! I'd never have guessed that was called tort!

Whipple: Colour me confused too :shock:

Speaking of colour, I finally have pics of my doe

Attachments

• orchid.jpg
    orchid.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 545
  • orchids fur.jpg
    orchids fur.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 545
  • orchid's belly.jpg
    orchid's belly.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 545
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 545
Looks 100% chestnut/black agouti to me. :)

Ah, I see Dood beat me to it. :D

Pretty bun!<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 pm __________<br /><br />Hmmm... I see Bunny-Wan Kenobi logged in. :lol:

Good luck Gulien, Asking about a color can get confusing answers because the same genotype color can be be called different things in different breeds. Since I don't raise show rabbits anymore, I use terms like, "orange" "Cal-marked" (a pattern, I think) "fox colored" People probably think I am dumb... may be true, but mostly I am too lazy to remember the name of the same color in different breeds. Then you run into terms like "Jap" and "Harley" and pretty soon one just gives ups and sends a picture. :p

Latest posts

Back