This doesn't math

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
Ok went out to the rabbitry to do evening checks and feeding. At first glace everything is normal.

Feed everyone, Watered everyone. Checked and took pics of the little ones. Reached in to Rosa's nest to pull the black kit. And I touch something very cold, furry but cold.

:?: It was a week old white kit. :?: :?: :shock: :shock:

Ok I know for a fact there were only 2 kits in that nest this morning.

This is the doe who had her nest attacked by rodents.
DH: "Are you sure it wasn't there the whole time?"
Me: "Yes I'm sure!"
Now the day of the attack I brought in the nest took out the alive kits (2) and emptied the nest box contents into the trash. Then cleaned and refilled the nest box and placed the "2" kits back inside. The box went back out to the doe the next morning.

At this point I was taking the box out to Rosa in the morning, then bringing it back inside in the afternoon everyday for a week.

What am I missing?!?!? :shock:

Nope.
1. The only other kits are 5 or 6 weeks old. Plus there is at least a 6 foot gap between the two nest.
2. No one goes into the rabbitry without me. And it has only been me and hubby all day.

I know this is going to sound crazy. But I think the mice are sending me a message. :x :lol: :lol: Kind of like the horse head in the god father. :? :lol:

But seriously this truly has me puzzled.

Nope.
1. The only other kits are 5 or 6 weeks old. Plus there is at least a 6 foot gap between the two nest.
2. No one goes into the rabbitry without me. And it has only been me and hubby all day.

I know this is going to sound crazy. But I think the mice are sending me a message. :x :lol: :lol: Kind of like the horse head in the god father. :? :lol:

But seriously this truly has me puzzled.

Wow that is pretty freaky. The only thing else I can think of would be the doe retain the kit and finally passed it? How old are the other 2 kits? Was there any sign of decay at all?

They would have been a least a week apart. It was not a new born it looked to be almost a week old. And the two other kits, the alive ones, are 18 days old. And no there was no signs of decay. It hadn't even gone into rigor. :shrug:

:? :shock:

Why does weird stuff always happen around me? :cry: :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had that happen once or twice ... missing kit , nowhere to be found , a week later its right where its suppose to be - in the nest box (alive).

Wait a darn minute , where did you come from ?!

Very strange. Any chance there was a kit born outside the nest and it crawled behind or under something in the cage? A pile of hay, maybe? If it was surviving outside the big nest, it probably wasn't eating as often and that might account for it looking a week behind in size/development.

The thread title is awesome. And it definitely doesn't math.

There was no where for the kit to hid. The cages are very spacious. Each cage has only a large stick, a plastic bottle, and the nest box. Very rarely is hay loose in the cage and if there is any it is cleaned up at once. They tend to urinate, and defecate on it and then make a mess. Plus after the attack I search everywhere for the missing kit.

There is no reasonable reason why this kit just appeared. :? :shock:

I think so. Before the attack there were 6 kits. After, there were 3 shredded to pieces and 1 mia and 2 hiding in the back corner of the nest. I am assuming this was the missing kit. But how? :shock: How would it get back in the nest? When?

Izzy and I have been in that nest several times a day since the attack. I know for a fact that there were just the 2 kits in it that morning. :shock:

I have to just caulk it up to an unknown event. Because it being anything else is just scary. :cry:

odd things happen.

I had it once I had a doe who tore apart her nest.

I got all her kits out, put them in one nestbox... counting as I put them in... remade the nest, counted the kits going back in. EMPTY nestbox. Put it back on top of the cage.

Kept the box out for the day to give doe a chance to chill, put in at night for feeding, left it there. two days later noticed wet kits pulled it out, pulled down the spare nest box and discovered a kit! Thought, okay, must have missed one (it was in great shape)... counted the kits as I pulled them out of the box and said.. okay.. we have an extra kit...

I had no other does due.
I have NO idea how the kit got into the box.

It was just the oddest thing... I know my numbers were right... so it's a go figure moment.

Ok I'm not crazy. For a moment I actually thought the rodents were messing with me. That is just a scary feeling. :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":r5hboj8s said:
Ok I'm not crazy. For a moment I actually thought the rodents were messing with me. That is just a scary feeling. :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, no, you are crazy :D , but the rodents still might not have anything to do with the Houdini kit

I know I'm crazy, but this was a new level for me and I'm not ready to take that step yet. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who knew it would be rabbits that would push me over the edge. :p :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":15es6y79 said:
I know I'm crazy, but this was a new level for me and I'm not ready to take that step yet. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who knew it would be rabbits that would push me over the edge. :p :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but you took that step when you decided to get rabbits :twisted:
These cute little fuzzies are the reason we're all some more than others a little crazy

Dozens of books and not 1 mentioned the steady decline of mental stability. :? :shock:

You would think that would have been in at least one of them. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back