Thinking about fostering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ida1416

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a first timer doe that kindled 5 kits. They're 4 days old today. She built a nice nest but at no point have I seen her nurse them, I have also not seen their bellies full. In the last two days I held her so they could nurse and maybe she'd get the picture. So they aren't starving. But she still seems confused. I'm thinking dont touch her for another day and if she hasn't fed them on her own it might be time to foster. I have another doe with 4 6 day old kits and a doe with 3 2 day old kits so I could split them and it would probably be fine. But I dont want to take away the opportunity for their original mom to figure it out. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Remember that she will feed them only once or twice a day, mostly at night. By 5 days I think they would be emaciated or dead if they were not eating. Unless they are actually getting skinny I don't think I would assume they are struggling. She may just have stronger protective instincts than other does...she is keeping her babies "hidden" from predators.

If they have skinny lean bellies and wrinkly loose skin, then you could foster them across the other two moms, but if not, I would leave her alone.

Your better bet would be dividing evenly with the 2 day litter, and swapping out the most fed of the successful doe to the least fed of the less successful doe each day.

Alternatively, I have had success with trading out litters of different sizes. If she is approaching the box to feed each day and just doesn't have enough, then when she goes to feed the 6 day olds their demanding suckling will trigger more milk production. If she isn't even trying to feed, they have bigger stomachs than the newborns and could go for a day without food and still be healthy enough to return to mother for any milk left behind by the newborns. As for the newborns, they will grow quicker due to the abundance of milk available from the foster. If you switch the entire litter every day, there should be enough milk to go around, and it will allow the foster to build up her production naturally.

If you aren't already doing this, get some dried nettle from a health food store and give both does 1 or 2 tablespoons a day until all kits' bellies are full. I've seen noticable effect in increased milk production, even on the first day.

I have had only one doe feed in front of me and that with an anoyed face since they where quiet untill i woke them up for check. Otherwise kits are round, warm and yes whenever you wake them up they'll try to find the teat and eat. Feed your doe well, but if for one reason or another she is not feeding/producing enough milk you have a problem that only the stewpot can fix. And fostering or bottle raising will only have any chance if they had colostrum from the doe, it is now to late to get that from another one.
Keep them warm and dry, patience will tell you what is happening with the mothering abilities of this doe.

Latest posts

Back