Things are getting strange

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
CB (an angora in a colony) kindled last week. I figured it was from the day Floor Bunny got into the colony when I left the gate open. Floor bunny is an angora, and stuff happens, right? Well, today Vienna kindled. 4 nice kits, all black except for one that looks...well....BLUE. BLUE? no...can't be. no blue or lilac in the backgrounds of Vienna or Floor Bunny...and quite frankly, Vienna would have been pregnant 5 weeks...her other litters have been 30 days, spot on.

I am now wondering if someone-who-shall-be-nameless (but bears a striking resemblance to the american blue juniors living next door to the angoras) managed to get his little self up to the fence and have a little er, afternoon delight?

If so...well...those kits will be REALLY strange looking :lol: big ears, side whiskers, fluffy tail and a mandolin body? omg....

I'm starting to think FONDLY of hanging cages...one bun to a cage....

Oh, wow, sorry, but that's just funny... I know my dog was a "through the fence" deal, I really didn't think a rabbit COULD do that!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I heard it could be done, now you have proof.... That's one determined buck! He's a keeper! :)

"he's a keeper"...HA! he's an annoying little bugger. Kept escaping from his pen, so i put him in one of hte big cages...which he promptly escaped from by pulling at the latch on the door. AND if he's in a cage he thumps all night long. so...hippity hoppity around the floor he goes.

He is, however, BANNED FOR LIFE from the Angora room. pesky little critter. Just because the angoras have long flowing hair doesn' mean they're sluts! ... well...maybe it does, now that i think about it....

now...to be fair...it is possible that this is just an extremely DARK tort...I won't know until it gets some wool, but I'm skeptical...by now a pure angora would be showing signs of longer wool..and so far they're looking an awful lot like meat rabbits!

weeeeellll .... pictures are a bit hard to get right now. Chocolate bunny AND Fat Little Bunny are in "DEFEND THE NEST" mode. Vienna (mother of the odd colored kits) could care less if I go in and root around, but the other 2 does are VERY protective for some reason this time. usually they're interested...and watchful. This time it's "get OUT!!!!" so I'm going to give them another couple of days. The 2 from CB's litter are getting big now, so they'll be out the door by next weekend I'm guessing.

I'll see if Michael can divert attention with treats while I sneak a couple of pictures tonight ;)

be interesting to watch them grow without any doubt at all ... I loved watching the angora moms babies mature this winter .. her 2 fuzzy babies are still with me .. I love em :)

I suppose it could be worse....maybe a lop eared English angora look. or...the body of the angora, with fuzzy face...and the fur of the american..oh wait..that may be what I have. :(

OH! reminds me...I didn't get pictures, but I did get to poke around in the nest. There is one HUGE (we're talking gigantic) black kit (from CB's litter) plus 5 little guys. Now...CB had 2 kits..chocolate and black. The chocolate is the same size as the young kits..or just slightly bigger...but with fur now. The big black thing is almost ready to come out of the nest box and lives by himself. The other kits are all in a nest..snuggly and warm. This black beast is like a huge hulking presence in the nest tunnel. really strange dude.

uyes...I must get photographs. I shall do so today. :)

Anntann":sz97193w said:
I suppose it could be worse....maybe a lop eared English angora look. or...the body of the angora, with fuzzy face...and the fur of the american..oh wait..that may be what I have. :(

Wait...isn't that just a lionhead? :tomato:

Great...HAH! these would be 11lb lionheads. OMG. :lol:

One of Chocolate Bunny's kits is HUGE. She had 2 that survived (I think she only delivered 3). 1 black, 1 brown. The brown is about the same size (slightly larger) than the kits from the 2nd litter..the black however....we're talking "the thing from the black lagoon"! hmmm. GODZILLA! he's finally out of hte nestbox on his own, and will just stand there in the middle of the colony stomping his feet. Then he charges around searching for "mom". :roll: CB, smart bunny that she is, spends most of the day up on top of the nestbox where he can't find her.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 pm __________<br /><br />Just an update.
The chocolate kit is paralyzed from waist down. no clue what happened. She's happy enough, and still gaining weight and growing..just can't move back legs. Of COURSE she's the only one with long angora fur. sigh.

Last night Mike was looking into the colony while I was sorting the kits and said "CB is looking really skinny...should we take her out?" Now...I know that she's looking weird, but I'm not worried about her. She has lost all her fur from the sides because of the kits...so she looks rather like she has an out of control mohawk going on. Her underhair is dark brown, with the older hair/wool/fur being a lot lighter; thus the false impression that she's lost a lot of weight.

So, I grabbed the fat little piggie and gave her to Micheal.

"oh", said he as he hefted the 8lb behemoth. "she's...chunky".

By the way...Chocolate Bunny, who used to be an attack rabbit..vile, vicious, overly protective, nasty and mean...has, with this last pregnancy, turned into a sweet gentle pet.

MaggieJ":3molvk6d said:
CB is now a sweet bunny? Isn't that super!!! :bouncy:
:D
Personally, I think it's because of Baal (the huge black kit). He follows her EVERYWHERE trying to get milk. She was jumping up on the nest tunnels to get away from him, but now he can get up there and she has no where to hide. Her change in attitude is probably "oh thank GOD!! PICK ME UP!! Hurry, he's coming!!" more than "oh, it's a human. I love humans..they're special to me" . :lol:

which reminds me...I need to photograph him/her, and the others. Time to go to the colony!

Back