They really changed color! *NEW PICS ADDED 8/14*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
2 1/2 weeks old out of my sable broken doe, and my NZW buck.

The solid kit at just a couple days old.
IMAG0914copy_zpsc9e05a9c.jpg

Solid kit at 2 1/2 weeks old.
IMAG0951copy_zps68cbb8d0.jpg

What color is this one?
IMAG0941copy_zps8a7cb8f6.jpg

Grey on the sides mixed with the brown.
IMAG0942copy_zps96113886.jpg

Nothing cuter than baby feets!
IMAG0943copy_zps71c45c6f.jpg

And just for fun, my newly weaned 2nd generation project spotted meat kits at 5 weeks old.
IMAG0937_1copy2_zps5023a99e.jpg

A solid chin, a broken chin, and I'm assuming the one not pictured older is just a broken black.

OwnedByTheBuns":1ptstngq said:
LOL sorry to be off topic... but what kind of camera do you use?

It's just the cell cam on my HTC droid phone. :oops:

__________ Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 pm __________

Wow, a chin, huh! Now there's a color I've never had in my rabbitry! :p It's the cutest thing too. :lol:

Yes, the other is just a broken black. I'll probably be raising up all the brokens, and keeping the best from the two litters for breeding my generation 3 spotted kits. The bun with the cross on the forehead will be a keeper irregardless. Love it's markings, even though it's not a spotted.

Ummm...chinchilla is not possible if your doe is a sable.

REW buck = A_ __ cc __ __

Sable doe = aa B_ cchl (cchl OR ch OR c) D_ E_
(she cannot have cchd or she would look chinchilla) OR be a self (black looking) chin

Chinchilla = A_ B_ cchd (cchd OR cchl OR ch OR c) D_ E_

Can you post a picture of the mom?

Sable... so, what would that be? Sable point? Siamese sable?

The broken looks to be sable chinchilla, which would explain the brown and the slightly "shaded" look. The solid may be too, but the broken has more brown... sure they vary in appearance though.

This is the doe when she was younger, but her blanket color is actually darker now than it shows here. When she was young, I asked here what color she was, and broken sable seemed to be the general consensus. She has the grey on the sides too.

IMAG0391_1_1_zps06e8126c.jpg

So then, what does that make the color of the two kits I posted? :lol: Genetics is so confusing! :p

The kits are chinchilla since they got an agouti and full extension from their father.

If you breed a boy back to the mom you will get more like her.

Interesting! :) Here is a link with some great info on the sallander coloring, it was helpful in explaining the color! http://natalieshobe.tripod.com/id21.html It's down at the bottom.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

I thought I'd take some updated pics of the doe since I just keep using pics of her when she was younger. Her blanket has really changed as she's matured. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

IMAG0962_1copy_zpsdc1956b1.jpg

Grey on sides......so this would make her a black based sallander, correct?
IMAG0967_1copy_zpsc1731341.jpg

Face color
IMAG0965_1copy_zpsefebefb3.jpg

Tail
IMAG0964_1copy_zps5abcbcfb.jpg

Latest posts

Back