They live together and STILL no babies!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So I got this pair of standard rex (5 years old) and put them together = no kits. So did it again and again and then finally just put them together in a big cage and left them together.

4 months later.............

Still nothing!

But its been so hot I just left them together as they seem comfortable.

Its now cooling down so what should I do to help them along?

You can try all the usual things that have been recommended so often, but at five years old they may be over the hill.

What do you feed them at present? I'm sorry, but I have trouble remembering everyone's details sometimes.

MaggieJ":s1xny5e4 said:
You can try all the usual things that have been recommended so often, but at five years old they may be over the hill.

What do you feed them at present? I'm sorry, but I have trouble remembering everyone's details sometimes.

I have trouble remembering peoples NAMES never mind what rabbits they have! :lol:

They are fed pellets, hay and what ever grass and weeds I snatch at the fly to give them. But have just noticed - my kids feed most days - that their feeder is always full so I think they may be fat, as well as old.

Would I do better to split them up for awhile?

I would split them up and put them on a diet if necessary.

The doe may be too full of fat to conceive.

Do you have a younger doe you could breed the buck to to see if he is still potent?

I don't know about girls (I've heard that if they haven't bred by a certain age it becomes much more difficult) but I know that age is not an insurmountable obstacle for bucks... my little Bonsai (Netherland Dwarf) was eight or so when he fathered his first litter. Now I'm just waiting until my 3-4 yo mini rex looses enough weight to put with his son and hope that she's not too old to get her engine revved up.

Place them in separate cages then place a length of
three or four inch thick PVC pipe between the feeder
and water source. They will have to climb or jump over
the pipe to eat and drink. This is you Rabbit gymnasium.
Cut back on the feed to what they will finish in an hour.
If you go back to feed the next day and feed is left
in the hopper/feeder, cut back even more.
You want the Rabbits to be hungry when you go to feed.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I picked up two mini rex does not too long ago and they are old enough to breed now. One of them is the same size as the buck (I think my standards are small and my mini's are big :lol: )

The plan was to get rid of the small rew doe and put the three others into my big walk in cage - after I eat the growers in there now - and give them several levels to go up and down in for excersize but now I think perhaps they will stay in cages for awhile longer, just each into its own cage.

Cant WAIT to get all the buns moved into their new locations. Right now they are all over the place so its hard to give each one the attention they need.

Have either of these two had a history of a litter?
At five years old, if neither has ever had a litter, I'd say it's not likely the doe is going to have one.

skysthelimit":c5c4o2aj said:
Have either of these two had a history of a litter?
At five years old, if neither has ever had a litter, I'd say it's not likely the doe is going to have one.

The seller said they had a litter from the doe about two years ago but I didnt think to ask about the buck.

Being dragged away for the weekend but will seperate them when I get back.

Sex change fairy eh? My sticky traps havnt caught that one yet! :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":24go1acy said:
GBov":24go1acy said:

I wonder what the best bait would be? :thinking:

A rabbit who's sex is REALLY IMPORTANT to your breeding project.

Not sure how one could bait a trap with it though! :lol:

GBov":1ussv03y said:
MamaSheepdog":1ussv03y said:
GBov":1ussv03y said:

I wonder what the best bait would be? :thinking:

A rabbit who's sex is REALLY IMPORTANT to your breeding project.

Not sure how one could bait a trap with it though! :lol:

Put it in a cage with another rabbit of the same sex.... :twisted:

Back