they keep dying

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyt21

Reaction score
so ive had 4/5 dye only of this litter. of the other litter none have died this way i don't know if its that they are freezing but i thought since there are in a small colony they could cuddle together.when i go down in the morning i find them flat on the ground with their eyes open and stiff, can someone please let me know what they think? could it be disease or maybe the cold? they are around 2 months old and dwarf rabbits, any help will be appreciated :(

Two month old dwarf rabbits in a colony. Yes, you'd think they'd snuggle up for warmth.

Maggie's right, we need more info.

Do they have shelter from the cold and wind? What is your weather like now?

Any other symptoms at all? Normal poops, urine, water/food intake?

Do your nest boxes have lids or tops on them? That could be part of the problem, as it puts the doe into a position that she repeatedly steps on the babies once she gets into the box to feed them and cannot exit or get turned around quickly enough.

I know they're common, I know practically everyone on here is going to chime in and say there's nothing wrong with it and it's been done for years, but if the nest box sizing is confining given the size of the rabbits you raise, that's a reasonable place to start instead of just wholesale replacing what you have.

At 2 months old I'd think maybe it's something other than another rabbit landing on top of them. You might have a predator after them at night or problems with your feed. It could be anything. More info is needed about the setup and your feeding routine.

Probably, at 2 months, they don't have the issue of their mom jumping on them in the nest box.

More questions:

Is the other litter about the same age?

Are you sure all the ones that have died are from the same litter?

Last summer i had an entire litter of dwarfs die.I think it was some kind of intestinal upset.I use cat litter boxes for my dwarfs nests no tops and never had one squished.

they are in my basement so they are protected from predators and wind i guess their poops all seem normal they are all together, i feed them walmart food. they are too big to get stepped on but i notice that that is what it seems like they are flat on the ground almost like if someone steps on them. i have 2 litters one of 3 month olds and the one where they all died since i found the last one dead today. the doe has a new litter since my buck escaped and rebred all my does one day, so i dont know if they weren't getting milk. i have noticed one of the 3 month olds really weak so i dont know if it might be dissease please let me know if you can think of something, thank you in advance

one more thing and i think this is the most important... one of my 3 month olds is about to die she is bone thin diarrhea stuck on her and twitching. she wasnt this bone thin before i dont know whats happening she was eating yesterday and seemed fine yesterday

Have you started feeding them hay and oats yet? Both of those could help. Also get some pro-biotic paste (for horses) at a feed store and start giving them that. A lot of people on RT use Bene-bac. Electrolytes would help too. Other posters have mentioned that orange Gatorade seems to be a favorite.

I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. Hopefully you can find a solution soon.

Throw away the walmart feed. Don't even give it to the wildlife. That stuff is flat out toxic. The horrors I've seen from rodents and rabbits switched to the brands sold at walmart...... Death is a common outcome if not switched back quickly. Start them on hay and oats only until they recover. In the meantime find a good feed store brand pellet. Pretty much anything except your small brands that are made of byproducts and a bunch of stuff that you don't know what it is will do over the walmart junk.

Back