The young Tan ones grow up.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lastfling

Reaction score
They grow up so fast :lol: Thought I share a few pictures.

Do you ever wonder what they're doing when you're not around?
napping.jpg

A little exercise and showing off.
chocolate.jpg

Aren't I good lookin??
posing.jpg

How about this side?
black2.jpg

I've heard the same things that you have concerning this breeds temperament and have even seen folks at shows don gloves to remove their's from their crates. Personally, I have not had any real issues with mine. Granted they are not lap bunnies, being active, and curious. Of the two does in the original trio I bought, one would nip on occassion, and still will, but if you watch her and get her to lay down with a hand on the back, she settles down and presents no further problems. This is a cage issue only, as outside the cage, she's fine. Same goes for the other doe, with the exception that she doesn't nip, but boxes instead. Now that I've had both going on about 9 months or so now, they come to the door for greetings and head scratches and I don't have any issues to speak of. The kits from these two does, have not presented the same temperaments as their mom's, at least not yet, being curious, and if anything one or two are a little on the shy side, not wanting to be handled and retreating to a far corner. I try and handle/touch on a daily basis, as I feed, and when opportunity presents, I've built a makeshift corral outside the barn that I can let them out to exercise while I feed / clean, etc. In a nutshell, I like my Tan's, and haven't regretted for a moment acquiring the breed. Hope this helps, and if any other questions feel free to ask.

aww very cute :) always had a thing for this breed, they are such pretty little rabbits :) ahh... maybe some day. are you using the sheet rock as resting pads? i use tile in my cages as platforms for does to sit on so they don't get sore hocks.

I've been told to use sheetrock in whelping boxes, it's easily replaceable instead of cleaning, absorbent and a good source of calcium (seriously).

In answer to the questions - yes it's sheetrock, or what remains of some sheetrock. It started out as Skysthelimit mentioned as underlayment for wirebottomed nesting boxes during the cold weather. A means of providing some insulation between the cage wire and the wire bottom box. As kits grew, it became a resting board, and, as you can see - something they liked to chew on. The several pieces use to be one piece. I normally use wood as resting boards but had a piece left over and was using it as a substitute. It works well, until, as you see they chew it up. I had read that it causes no harm, so didn't see a need to remove, and they seem to enjoy the chew. There have been no ill effects as all are bright eyed and bushy tailed. They have been separated since this pic was taken as 3 of the 5 were bucks (you only see four, although there's a tiny bit of rear end of the other in the lower right corner) .

Aw, I've really wanted tans for a while now. Your pics don't help. :D

Ugh I thought about looking in to a trio but it turns out the 1 breeder near me is one of those stuck up snobs who has decided I'm not putting as many years of work in to the breed to make grand champions as her (I thought they'd make nice pelts but didn't tell her I was butchering any) so I shouldn't have them. I got a nice page and a half lecture for selling some of my ND and MR for pets. Next closest is a drive to IN unless I ask the district 3 yahoo group and get lucky.

Lastfling, do you cull any for meat? In another thread, we were discussing that Bob Bennet raised them and he likes them as meat rabbits, but it doesn't seem like you would get much meat from them.

They are so beautiful, with that high gloss coat! Is there any Satin in their makeup?

Trying not to derail and disturb the non meat rabbit people too much but apparently while light built they make a good 2 - 2 1/2lb high meat to bone ratio when finished and the pelts are one of the few that the black doesn't fade to brownish when tanning.

I will jump in here. I have tans and have for years. I show also. They are fine as a meat rabbit. You get about the same off a full grown tan as you would from a wild rabbit.
I have some that are very in your face curious and friendly, and I have some that would as soon tear your arm off. They are a very active breed. Very different.

akane, woud you mind me asking who the woman was? I am D3 BTW.

No mamasheepdog, they have no satin in their fur. totally different. satin fur has a finer diameter hair shaft and a more transparent hair shell. that is what makes satin fur look the way is does. tans (and silvers also) have snappy flyback fur. It is super high gloss. the shine of the fur and the contrast in sharp marking makes them a very fine looking breed.

She's the only IA breeder on the specialty club list I believe. It's under her daughter's name but her email. She's agreed to give me 1 rabbit to "try out". I'm not sure what I'm suppose to be trying out. If they aren't too expensive I'm debating a drive to WI or IN for a trio but I'd like to produce more than just the black. Maybe a buck carrying blue or chocolate and a a blue or chocolate and then black doe. It would be $100s in gas though so probably a doomed plan. Maybe in 2 months when I see if my contract is being renewed and I will still have a job or not for spare cash.

Akane and OneAcre, I appreciate you answering MamaSheepdog's questions. I couldn't think of a thing to add that both of you haven't covered. I don't have any mean ones, just a grouchy one. Normally, I can handle her fine, but she will take spells. As far as colors Akane, I discussed with the breeder I bought from that I wanted a trio that carried dilute and that's what I got when I acquired my trio. I bought a black doe, black buck and chocolate doe. Both the buck and chocolate doe carry dilute which yields the possibility of blue and lilac. So far in the litters that have kindled since I acquired them last year I have gotten Chocolate, Black and Blue. I'm still looking for the future lilac.

Latest posts

Back