The World is still here!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imajpm

Reaction score
Anyone get hit with that evil NW windstorm Tues evening? Whoa it was so nerve wracking. Sounded like a train barreling over the house for hours and hours. Branches getting torn off and bouncing all along the roof. I had to go put the buns to bed in pitch blackness with the trees all bending over. In hindsight it may have been wiser for them to miss dinner. Man was I scared! One bunny came in with me. She was a newly shorn angora whose heaters all went out when we lost electricity. Power was out for two days, the rest of my area is still in the dark. We had three good sized trees go down and a ton of small ones, but nothing near the house whew. My imagination ran wild and I started daydreaming, or night dreaming lol, about zombie apocalypses and such. I hope everyone gets power soon and is all right.

I feel for you. Wind storms are terrifying.

I think we are getting the tail end of your weather system here in Ontario today, but fortunately for us it has weakened and is merely unpleasant rather than alarming.

All the same, when the wind howls for hours or days on end, my nerves find it hard to take. I went through a tornado in the mid-nineties in Peterborough, Ontario and a really bad windstorm here in March, 2002. So I know the feeling of being at the mercy of high winds.

Tornadoes I can do without :shock: I don't really mind the wind that much, it's the 70+ foot tall pine and fir trees in the wind that I mind. They have such piddly root balls to hold them secure. They clocked these winds at category 1 Hurricane strength. I believe they reached 100mph in Wenatchee so they had it much worse. Eastern WA really kicks up. It's nuts. Every time I drive through that area I think to myself "Why am I weaving all over the road? Am I tired?" lol then I stop at a rest stop and nearly get blown away.

Some folks won't have power restored for a week. I was starting to worry about our freezers but ours was restored in the nick of time. I hate thinking of all those deer in those freezers that will be wasted. It really does hammer home the things that need to be done, such as, some sort of alternative power source.

imajpm":3leecxu2 said:
I hate thinking of all those deer in those freezers that will be wasted. It really does hammer home the things that need to be done, such as, some sort of alternative power source.

I have been really surprised how delectable canned meat is, so much so that I think I will be canning a LOT more meat in the future. The added bonus is that if/when the power goes out you still have a bunch of meat that is shelf stable, and tastes AWESOME, and is safe to eat even if you cannot heat it.

70mph winds, tornados (saw a sign that had been driven through a garage door), and hail. Today a blizzard through tomorrow. Nov started out so good. Storms don't really bother me though. They just stop me from getting things done and my body has never handled cold well.

MamaSheepdog":1krhcm41 said:
imajpm":1krhcm41 said:
I hate thinking of all those deer in those freezers that will be wasted. It really does hammer home the things that need to be done, such as, some sort of alternative power source.

I have been really surprised how delectable canned meat is, so much so that I think I will be canning a LOT more meat in the future. The added bonus is that if/when the power goes out you still have a bunch of meat that is shelf stable, and tastes AWESOME, and is safe to eat even if you cannot heat it.

I agree, I prefer it to freezing , for above mentioned reasons--

MamaSheepdog":2vp0k4g0 said:

Canning! :fainting: I have never canned anything but my grandmother was a master canner and it's on my list of skills to learn. Great idea.

We will get our second dose of snow in a few days. Storm blew the first pile away :lol: I generally enjoy storms though they do kinda put a kink in any outdoor plans. I just don't care for giant trees creaking and swaying above my head! We usually get one big blow per year but not usually quite that big hehe, so we should be all set til next year lol. Now onwards to blizzard season!

It's supposed to be 46F within 5 days but that just turns the snow to mud. Then it will snow again.

We had quite a bit of wind here in the northwest corner of Montana. It did uproot one of our pines but fortunately not the one that would reach the house, that one scares me. I'd love to cut it but it's actually on the neighbor's property so I just have to trust in my good fortune. :lol:

Latest posts

Back