The Ringer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I plan on adding 100-120 cages to my barn (in banks of 3-4) over the course of a few months. This is a lot (A LOT) of J clipping. Bass has a gadget called The Ringer (http://bassequipment.com/Cages/Cage+Assembly+Tools/default.aspx) and I'm thinking about getting it. Has anyone here used it? Or, for that matter, does anyone use the C rings instead of J clips? I've heard they don't rust as quickly because they don't hold in moisture like the J clips, but I still question the durability of them.

Just throwing this out there. I do not know from experience, but when we were deciding on what to use we were told that the c rings work well and they may not rust out as quick but do not hold the cage together as snuggly as the j clips. We decided to go with j clips, the breeder we got our stock from uses c rings, so I quess it is personal preference. Should add that we were told the j clips would most likely not rust out before the cage would need to be replaced anyway.
After having said all that my husband was thinking of changing to c rings to save his hands as well, so far he has not switched.

I use C-rings. I used to work for a mink farmer and that's what his cages are built with, so I was able to get lots of them for free. He's built several thousand cages, so I figure C-rings are the way to go.

Well, I just called Bass and the lady said for galvanized wire, I wouldn't be happy. The rings that it takes won't hold it securely enough. I guess I'll go with J clips and get the pliers they sell. They seem a bit more comfortable than the standard ones I have now. Bummer!

I use [J] clips for all my cages but I have heard that some prefer
the C rings to attach the floors as they are easier to remove when replacing a floor.
I have never had too much of a problem when removing the [J] Clips.
I use a very small thin screw driver to open the clip.
I guess it's just a personal choice.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks, Jack. The ringer is the same as Bass', but much cheaper. The pnuematic j clipper is just expensive enough that I could hire someone to build my cages using their teeth. lol

I have a member of one of the local clubs that as one, or something similar (actually He's does or did some type of fab)
And he will lone them out, so.... if you don't mind paying for the clip cartridges, which are a little pricey, the rest if free.

Oh, and on Pulling J clips
I have a pair of pinching needle nose pliers, like this
316CYuLas0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Olympia-10-548-11 ... 95&sr=1-54
I sharpened the tips to a point, so that it can get underneath the j clip and pop it open, then twist of the wrist and it's off.

Ooh, I like it! I use a small screwdriver. Leaves my hands hurting!

I've used a pair of long needle nosed pliers- stick the point under, pinch, and twist. No matter what iuse, I'm gonna hurt- old Uncle Arthur Itis pays me a visit every time!!!!

No pincer twist, the loosening action is entirely in the CLOSE, putting the points in the j-clip opens it, the twist is just to pop it off the wire.

Hey, Paula....I'll take a cage or ten while your building them....;) :p

BTW...Anyone in OR or WA ever think about making cages for sale?

Shara, I've often thought of selling cages. Chris is an HVAC tech and has all sorts of connections for galvanized sheeting and very big box and pan brakes, that I'm sure I could use (in their shop) for a small rental fee. I could do feeders, pans, etc. This has been on my list of money making ideas for a long time.

I've always used J clips, did have the following problem. First set of pliers I bought were the cheap economy ones from TSC, think their from Bass. They worked fine, were hard on the hands, as your clamping down the 'blades' bypass each other making for a tightly rolled J clip, good deal. Decided to buy the better, heavier pliers, well they stink, because they do not bypass each other, instead they touch each other and stop, making for a much looser j clip. Cheesed me off, now I have to go get another pair of the cheap ones.

Ugh. Definitely not what I wanted to hear. I wonder if slipping thick foam of some sort over the cheapies would work. Anything has to be better. After a bank of cages, my hands just ache. I need to figure out a better way to cut it to. I am not good with a grinder. I end up shaving some of the wire along what I'm cutting or leaving long nubbies of wire. My dremel takes longer than cutters. Maybe if I cut one day and clip the next my hands wouldn't end up hurting as bad. Hmm..

Maybe if I cut one day and clip the next my hands wouldn't end up hurting as bad. Hmm..[/quote]

That is what I did--Cut wire in the correct numbers and sizes,and stacked them in 'bundles' that each represented one cage. Then, I would grab a bundle, and in between certain activities, clip sections together.
And yeah, the cheaper Jclippliers are a lot better for quality of the cage construct-AND they can fir into tighter spaces. I don't like having to clamp each clip twice to make an even crimp, but hey, the crimps last!

I wrapped mine in a old dishtowl, after the carboard I was using came off...
AND lots of ducttape

Back