The right breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueLove16

Reaction score
I am familiar with the ideal meat rabbit breeds, but I wanted to do a rabbit that could also be a popular pet or be rarer at a show.
Flemish or very popular here, so much pet stores sell them. ick. And NZ and FW arnt ideal for pets and both seem popular at the shows.
I was wondering about maybe french lops or standard rexes. I realize the type of both isn't ideal for meat and they would make small fryers. But would there be enough meat to make it worth bothering with? I have looked into lilacs and beverens though and lilacs and the fact the breed is dwindling I wouldn't mind those just to boost the breed with quality stock and use culls as friars.

Anyone raise for meat/show/pet that isnt the ideal meat rabbit?

I have a few months before I am starting this venture, so am looking forward to being well educated before I start this up and know which direction I will be taking

I know of some folk who keep standard Rex for meat and show...and I myself am in a transition period where I'm aquiring Champagnes to breed for meat and show. :) Really any good commercial-type body will be good for meat, and then just don't eat the show-quality ones. :D

Palominos, Cinnamons, Champagne D'Argents and Creme D'Argents all come to mind as "good meat rabbits that are also pretty and very cool at shows"... ;)

BlueLove16":6q073jz5 said:
I am familiar with the ideal meat rabbit breeds, but I wanted to do a rabbit that could also be a popular pet or be rarer at a show.
Flemish or very popular here, so much pet stores sell them. ick. And NZ and FW arnt ideal for pets and both seem popular at the shows.
I was wondering about maybe french lops or standard rexes. I realize the type of both isn't ideal for meat and they would make small fryers. But would there be enough meat to make it worth bothering with? I have looked into lilacs and beverens though and lilacs and the fact the breed is dwindling I wouldn't mind those just to boost the breed with quality stock and use culls as friars.

Anyone raise for meat/show/pet that isnt the ideal meat rabbit?

I have a few months before I am starting this venture, so am looking forward to being well educated before I start this up and know which direction I will be taking

Rex are still classified as a commercial meat breed, they just grow slower than New Zealands or Cals, but they have the same bone to meat ratio. Mine take about 14-16 weeks, but SOME people on here (MSD, Caroline and OAF) have Rexes that get bigger faster. Beverens are nice too, they fall somewhere between New Zealands and Rexes. You may have a problem finding both breeds (Rexes and Beverens) however, depending where you are, neither are widely raised.

I am willing to travel to get good stock and the breed I decide on. The ARBA convention this year will be a little less than a few hours and thinking about maybe going there too. And when I started getting into rabbits I wanted a standard rex and couldn't find a breeder in KS or MO. Love the fur, but didnt like the small size of the mini rex. People who do have standards as pets always have good things to say about their personalitys

Love your shepherds, were going to be looking in the next 6 months for a GSD too :)

BlueLove16":32h6tdzp said:
I am willing to travel to get good stock and the breed I decide on. The ARBA convention this year will be a little less than a few hours and thinking about maybe going there too. And when I started getting into rabbits I wanted a standard rex and couldn't find a breeder in KS or MO. Love the fur, but didnt like the small size of the mini rex. People who do have standards as pets always have good things to say about their personalitys

Love your shepherds, were going to be looking in the next 6 months for a GSD too :)

Thanks, if I was closer, I could help you with the Rex and the shepherds :)

I know Rex people will be there at the convention. If you can, by all means go, and take lots of carriers/and or boxes. You can get someone to bring something to you, so you have free choice of most of the rabbits in the country. Perhaps you'll get a little bit of everything!

Hoping hubby will ok the trip, id only want a trio but wouldnt mind another flop for inside if i could get a tri or harli :)

Contact some folks ahead of time, and I'm sure you can find someone to get you what you want. I'm hoping to catch someone leaving from OH or passing through, to bring me back a few more Rexes.

I raise rex for meat and dd shows them in 4h. But the very best breed I've ever come across that is great for meat as well as show or pets, and in a variety for colors is the satin! I raise NZ, Champagnes, rex & satins and satins are by far the best multipurpose rabbit!

The NZ great for meat but aren't great for pets and shows are saturated with them
Champagnes are great for meat and rare at shows, they have a great temperament but they have one color.
Rexes are great for show and for pets but the grow out is extremely slow compared to other meat rabbits.
Satins have pretty quick grow out, slower than the nz but they also eat less so the feed to meat ratio is still as good, they have beautiful fur, great temperaments, are so soft, and make great pets and good show rabbits.

Legacy":3d5fsqg3 said:
I raise rex for meat and dd shows them in 4h. But the very best breed I've ever come across that is great for meat as well as show or pets, and in a variety for colors is the satin! I raise NZ, Champagnes, rex & satins and satins are by far the best multipurpose rabbit!

The NZ great for meat but aren't great for pets and shows are saturated with them
Champagnes are great for meat and rare at shows, they have a great temperament but they have one color.
Rexes are great for show and for pets but the grow out is extremely slow compared to other meat rabbits.
Satins have pretty quick grow out, slower than the nz but they also eat less so the feed to meat ratio is still as good, they have beautiful fur, great temperaments, are so soft, and make great pets and good show rabbits.

You hit the nail on the head. I'd like a faster grow out, but the color choice for NZ is limited, and I don't care for white rabbits of any breed.
I was supposed to get a pair of Satins, the breeder set up the deal then disappeared-- As much as I promised I would not add another breed to this barn, I considered raising NZ to fulfill my meat orders, maybe I'll get some Satins instead.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":39wyyu0r said:
Palominos, Cinnamons, Champagne D'Argents and Creme D'Argents all come to mind as "good meat rabbits that are also pretty and very cool at shows"... ;)

If you want a breed which you won't typically find at every show (or for that matter, at MOST shows you attend), Cinnamons fit that billing as well as anything, plus they're a good meat rabbit.

And with the OP living in KS and the ARBA Convention being in Wichita this year, getting a pair or trio shouldn't be that big of a problem for you. It would behove the OP to phone a couple of the breeders on the Cinnamon club's website and try to plan ahead for buying them while they're in your backyard.

When I was choosing a meat breed that I could also show, my short-list narrowed down to just Champagnes and Cinnamons. :) Both are AMAZING, and I think Cinnamons are a little more rare than Champagnes, too.

Ive been going back to french lops.

If i had my flops then a cali doe. Bred a flop buck to her, id get faster growing smaller boned kits, right?

Im 3 hours from convention..so ill be stopping by bank and taking a trip lol

Latest posts

Back