The PuPpLeS have landed!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CWD":axxmhmra said:
Just my luck, Good quality hay. LOL
I was given about 5 tons of first cut hay a couple of weeks ago. full of weeds and grass.
but my rabbits, chickens and goats like it.

5 tons of free hay??? In CA??? :shock:

Why didn't they sell it as cow hay, I wonder? Is it that bad?

I would be worried about mold or other toxins... giving away that much hay with the prices these days sets off alarm bells in my mind.

Last year I found a local grower that doesn't use pesticides or herbicides in their fields. Consequently, the hay contained weeds, but I felt that was probably beneficial to the rabbits and even the horses.

A friend of mine, has a couple of hay fields, last year he planted a new field, and this was the first cutting from this
field.he said it was so weedy he could not sell it, or even try to sell it.
he thought it would be good for rabbits or goats. so he asked if me if I wanted the hay.
all I had to do was get it out of the field and haul it away, before he watered the field again.
I usaly get all his busted bales every year. and have gotten some primo hay. This hay is mostly weeds and grass
but free is free, and the goats have not complained yet.
I would not feed this to horses or cattle. because of the weeds.

RR, there is a pic of her at the bottom of the post showing the boy pups. She is the dog lying with her head on the cat. :)

I also cropped the same photo down as my new avatar.<br /><br />__________ Mon May 27, 2013 3:01 pm __________<br /><br />Kyle, you are funny. :)

Latest posts

Back