The first of many

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
2015-07-07 22.00.21.pngToday while my wife and kids were out at the movies :popcorn: I decided to start processing my young rabbits to make room for my other grow outs. My wife insisted that she didn't want to be home when I did this.
I used my high powered .22 cal pellet gun to dispatch him. It was Quick and painless. I feel like this is one of the best ways to dispatch (JMO)
After everything was said and done and all the pieces were cut I let it rest in ice and water for a while to chill the meat. After a while I drained all the water and put it in the fridge. If the ice in the bowl melts should I drain the water so the meat doesn't get water logged? I do this with my deer meat. I put it in a cooler filled with ice for about 4 days and everyday I drain the water and top it back off with fresh ice. Would this method work, or should I just let it rest naturally in the fridge on a plate or saucer? I'll be enrolling the rest at freezer camp between tomorrow and Thursday. Thank you all again for everything you all have taught me thus far.

There is something so satisfying about a truly home cooked meal - congrats!

Does that knife have a swing blade with a gut hook on the other side? Looks similar to the one my oldest has (that I "borrow" often).

heritage":29947zs5 said:
There is something so satisfying about a truly home cooked meal - congrats!

Does that knife have a swing blade with a gut hook on the other side? Looks similar to the one my oldest has (that I "borrow" often).

Its the Outdoor Edge razor blade knife. It came with 10 replaceable blades. I wish it had the swing blade! that would be nice. I actually broke it today :evil: the blade wont lock into place anymore for some strange reason. For as much money as I paid for it, it should never break. I use this for all my deer and up until today the knife has been awesome.

You do not have to soak rabbit meat..I just put it in a zip lock to keep it from drying out and let it rest for four days..butcher day is day one ,on day four I vacuum seal and put in the freezer.. Nice job ..looks delish.. :dinner:

Thanks for that picture, I've been wondering what a dressed out rabbit looks like. So you basically get six pieces of meat per rabbit? Looks like the 4 legs (duh) and two pieces of back meat?

katiebear":2yxhe2mu said:
You do not have to soak rabbit meat..I just put it in a zip lock to keep it from drying out and let it rest for four days..butcher day is day one ,on day four I vacuum seal and put in the freezer.. Nice job ..looks delish.. :dinner:

What's the point of letting it rest? With our hunted rabbits we always froze them for a few hours then ate them, usually the next day.

Freezing due to that disease/parasite they carry, forgot name

Susie570":1sh38o65 said:
Thanks for that picture, I've been wondering what a dressed out rabbit looks like. So you basically get six pieces of meat per rabbit? Looks like the 4 legs (duh) and two pieces of back meat?

Hahaha I know we love pictures here on RT! Susie this is just the way I prefer to dress my rabbits. I find it to be a little more time consuming to do it this way but I find the meat more enjoyable having a few pieces of boneless meat then having to dig and pick your way through every single bone. I look at it like having little back straps. I know there are ways to debone the whole rabbit which would be nice to do sometimes but my skill level isn't that advanced :D

CochinBrahmaLover":3lb5b75q said:
What's the point of letting it rest?

I suppose that even resting is not absolutely necessary..I allow my meat to pass through rigor...taking about 4 days. For me it improves the texture and the flavor. I have read on this forum that some insist it is a waste of time so..I guess it is a personal preference.. Yesterday I processed 2 overdue bucks..they were about 4 months old, I put them in the roaster with four or five cups of water before they even cooled off and were still very flexible, even floppy..I took the cooked meat off in chunks and am using it in dishes that call for cooked meat. It tastes great!... :D

I hope you put the ribs and backbone in the stock pot ll Arrows, That stock is liquid gold...best gravy ever!!!

II Arrows":3ef9t3bi said:
I hope you put the ribs and backbone in the stock pot ll Arrows, That stock is liquid gold...best gravy ever!!!

I would love to learn how to do that! I do like me a good gravy! :p

Stock is super simple..put all the bones in a large pot cover with water. simmer on low for several hours, keeping the water level at around 2 quarts up to a gallon depending on how many bones you have,and how strong of a taste you want.If the flavor is not strong enough let it cook down more..Oh and keep the lid on, it slows the evaporation down, just stir every hour or so and adjust the water. let it set to cool before handling, I know that sounds dumb but boiling liquid is hot....who knew... :lol:
You can take out the bones and pick off the meat if you like or not...strain through a fine mesh or cheesecloth or coffee filter. cool. I cool it in quart containers then freeze in ice cube trays, pop the cubes in a freezer bag just for convenience. but you can freeze a cup or two at a time in a freezer bag, if you lay them flat to freeze they store in the freezer door easily.
This is a plain meat stock, sometimes I throw in a couple stalks of celery,an onion,a couple cloves garlic,a parsnip or carrot.just what ever you like,....You don't need to salt or pepper you can do that when you use it. :D

Latest posts

Back