The Boxer strikes again.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
So I bought a treat ball for my shepard a few years back (10yrs) :D . Yall know, the type that releases food/treats as the dog plays with it. :mrgreen: Yea the one that is made of the toughest plastic known to man kind. :p

WELL after a few hours with Cookie it looked like this: :x

015 (600x450).jpg
011 (600x450).jpg
012 (600x450).jpg

That ball lasted through 1 greman shepard, 10 dobi pups, and 1 dobi adult. :evil:

But couldn't handle a few hours with my boxer. It didn't even have a scratch on it before she got her jaws on it. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dang! Boxers are amazing dogs. Gentle enough to play with a baby yet tough enough to chew through just about anyting. You should send the makers of that toy an email--first to let them know how long it had stood up to timesnd s crew of chewers, and then second to introduce them to their new nemesis, your boxer! :lol:

the reluctant farmer":2zb01t2l said:
Dang! Boxers are amazing dogs. Gentle enough to play with a baby yet tough enough to chew through just about anyting. You should send the makers of that toy an emai--fist to let them know how long it had stood up to timesnd s crew of chewers, and then second to introduce them to their new nemesis, your boxer! :lol:

Maybe you (well, your boxer) could be a tester for their new products! ;)

Aren't those meant to be used under supervision only, so as to prevent such damage from occurring? I don't think I could trust any of my dogs with an object that is sure to smell strongly of food, they'd probably do just as much damage as your boxer or more. Once the food stops coming some dogs get frustrated and start dismantling the toy in search of their reward.

If you are looking for a tougher option, and are decently handy, I've managed to fashion some simple toys out of PVC pipe and caps. I drilled a half inch hole in one cap (smoothed all the edges with a rotary tool) and slapped it on the end of a foot long 2" diameter pipe, filled it with food, and put a solid cap on the other side. So far, minimal damage has been dealt to it by my Pyr/Lab cross. She chucks it across the room, licks at the end, and even pulls it forward and stops it abruptly so the food will flow out, though I do strongly discourage her from chewing it. I plan to make a shorter toy out of 3" diameter pipe soon.

I have yet to meet a toy that stands up to my Pug/Beagle mix ! Even the ones that say they are for aggressive chewers - he destroys in an instant.
The best have been his Kongs.

The German Shepherd / Collie / Husky mutt - we can barely get her to even LOOK at a toy, let alone chew on one !

My old pitbull had taken down everything on the market when he was a younger dog. He's gone through the largest and heaviest toys.

I never found anything he couldn't destroy, including a metal large breed dog crate from TSC. He had that thing in pieces, along with the bedroom door, after making splinters out of the plastic tray it came with.

That dog will stop at nothing to get to his destination.

The couch.

Thus ended our attempts at crate training. We are resigned to always have to keep a dog blanket on top of the couch. :roll:

HowlsOfAngels":3nvq0iz4 said:
Aren't those meant to be used under supervision only, so as to prevent such damage from occurring? I don't think I could trust any of my dogs with an object that is sure to smell strongly of food, they'd probably do just as much damage as your boxer or more. Once the food stops coming some dogs get frustrated and start dismantling the toy in search of their reward.

If you are looking for a tougher option, and are decently handy, I've managed to fashion some simple toys out of PVC pipe and caps. I drilled a half inch hole in one cap (smoothed all the edges with a rotary tool) and slapped it on the end of a foot long 2" diameter pipe, filled it with food, and put a solid cap on the other side. So far, minimal damage has been dealt to it by my Pyr/Lab cross. She chucks it across the room, licks at the end, and even pulls it forward and stops it abruptly so the food will flow out, though I do strongly discourage her from chewing it. I plan to make a shorter toy out of 3" diameter pipe soon.

I was in and out of the room while doing laundry. She only had it for 3 hours. I went to the dryer, which is right outside my bedroom door (where she was) had my back turned for less than 15 mins switching around cloths and came back to it destroyed. :p
Will have to try the pvc idea. Could you share a pic? Please. She has a rope that was attached to a tire but she hated the tire. Won't touch it. :shock: She really loves stuffed toys but they are killed very quickly. I pick up some at the good will or other places because they cost a small $$$ at the pet stores. :x And really how much should one pay for an item that won't last more than 10mins. :mrgreen:

That sounds about right. I give my Boxer old milk jugs, she loves taking the cap off and after she flattens them she begs me to tug with her.

Back