Thanksgiving Menu

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
There's cooking going on in our house (and outside) and it made me wonder what the tradition is for you and your family?

We're having:

Baked ham
Fried Turkey
Cornbread Dressing
Squash Casserole
Pineapple Casserole
White Acre Peas
Green Beans
Deviled Eggs
Pecan Pie maybe
Cheese Cake

It will be sreved about noon if you can make it here by then!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wish you were closer, I'd come over. I don't have a family, so my tradition is to find someone's house to go over to get some food.

Bill":huyi5w1i said:
It will be sreved about noon if you can make it here by then!

I'll cover the West coast, Bill! :p

Today's Menu:

Honeybaked ham from our homegrown hog
Turkey
Dressing
Salad
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Cranberries with Grand Marnier and Mandarin oranges
Candied Yams
Dinner rolls
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Homemade vanilla ice cream

Beverage Selection:

Champagne
Wine
Martinelli's cider
Eggnog with or without Brandy

Dinner will be served around 5:00 as darkness falls. This year we only have thirteen at the table, so reservations are still being accepted. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, all! :D

I make the same dinner my family's been making since I can remember, minus the few things hubby and I don't like.

turkey
pepperidge farm stuffing
green bean casserole
loaded scalloped potatoes
candied yams

punkin pie from scratch
and a new one I'm trying this year - caramel apple cheesecake

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Normally, our menu looks like this:

Roasted turkey, the biggest one we can find
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Rice (sometimes)
Cornbread dressing
Spinach Madeleine
Green beans or green bean casserole or maybe limas instead
Cranberry relish
Whole cranberry sauce
Canned cranberry sauce (for my beloved Shay... he likes the others, too)
Dinner rolls
Olives (in honor of my grandfather, and because we like them)
Deviled eggs, with and without pickle relish
Cushaw pie
In-the-pumpkin pie

The menu ended up greatly trimmed yesterday, because we couldn't do much ahead of time on account of being sick, and because we had unexpected company -- my uncle and his new wife! :D

We almost had no turkey! Mom pulled it out of the refrigerator, and informed me that it was still frozen, and knocked on it to show me. Normally, we defrost mostly outside of the refrigerator. This time, we had our turkey over a week and a half ahead of time, and were going to be good and defrost in the fridge. I didn't think my fridge was cold enough to keep a turkey frozen for that long!

Hoping that perhaps it was just marginally frozen, and that some heat would quickly loosen the thing up, we soaked it in hot water. I drained the water and pried out the giblets, ran hot water inside it, worked the joints, and soaked it in hot water again.

After about an hour and a half, it was ready to cook! :razz: We wouldn't have dinner in the early afternoon, but early evening, but we were going to have turkey after all! :lol:

Having my uncle and his wife over made our Thanksgiving! :razz:

I will keep the reservation thing in mind for next year.

But no one served any Sweet Potato Pie?

Thanksgiving or Christmas, ours is pretty simple but it's what the guys here like. I no longer do a dessert on the day itself because by the time they get to it, they are already too full. Sometimes I make a pie the next day for them to have with leftovers. I'll have to cook a second low-carb veg this year because none of this except turkey is low-carb.

Roasted Turkey with Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Candied Sweet Potatoes

Yumm! A few of those things I'd like to try! We have narrowed our's down to the things most of us like. Sky I'm about the only one in our family that likes sweet potatos, although both son in laws will eat anything, so due to time and oven space they usually lose out. Too funny MissM, that happened to my BIL a few years ago when he was going to fry a couple of turkey breasts and they weren't thawed! Most meats I can eat rare but NOT fowl.

One thing I did leave off was "Pink Stuff" a dessert/salad made with marshmellows, cool whip, sour cream, jello and home grown (had to put that in because of MSD's homegrown hog)pecans. I don't eat it but it's a favorite of one of our daughters.

Of course we did have rolls and cranberry sauce!

I didn't cook this year (except a batch of rolls) because we went to the in-laws' yesterday, but when I'm in charge, this is what we have:

Roast turkey
Mock wild rice dressing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Homemade rolls
Jellied cranberry sauce (might try homemade next year)
Mixed vegetables (corn, beans, peas, carrots, and if I can get them, lima beans)
Black olives (everyone except DH LOVES them!)
Sweet potatoes (for DH--he's the only one who likes them)
Pecan pie (only DH and I will eat it, though)
Pumpkin pie and homemade whipped cream

trinityoaks":aiq1w1s1 said:
Jellied cranberry sauce (might try homemade next year)

They are really easy to make, and only take about 5 minutes to cook. You basically boil them in water and sugar, but we add orange juice concentrate and a couple of TBSPs of Grand Marnier, and garnish with mandarin orange slices in light syrup.

The dreaded cranberry sauce, the jellied mass that slides out of a can, the one thing I will not eat at a Thanksgiving table.
Perhaps I would like the homemade much better.

MaggieJ":391k45cw said:
Sky, homemade cranberry sauce is MUCH nicer... and so easy to make that there is not much point serving the canned sauce.
:yeahthat:
We have been making it for years now, and it's funny because the cranberries "pop" in the pot!

I make the relish. It's 1 package of cranberries, 1 medium orange, 3/4 cup sugar, and (if desired) 1 cup chopped walnuts.

Leaving the skin on, cut the orange up in eighths or so, remove the seeds, and chop it in a food processor until desired consistency. I stop when the largest rind pieces are about the size of my pinkie fingernail. Do the same with the cranberries. Mix it all together, and you have relish! :D It is not cooked, and it is not as sweet as sauce. So good!

My grandmother used to insist on poking each cranberry with a darning needle so they wouldn't pop. Just like jabbing a potato so it won't burst in the oven. :roll: It did make a pretty sauce, but really it didn't taste any better. At the time I thought she was nuts, but it is nice to know how people did things back when. Grandma was born in 1893 and lived out her century plus about three weeks.

We had roasted stuffed turkey ... this time, I cheated and mixed pepperidge farm and a local store brand stuffing (one was cubed bread, the other bread crumbs) but still included the sauteed onion and mushrooms, and used dehydrated celery leaves ... turned out pretty good!

Mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and home made dinner rolls. I *tried* to get the home grown corn on the cob on the table, but neither the ex or DD really wanted it :/

I also baked a cherry and peach pie and DD brought home two pumpkin from work (Walmart) so I wouldn't have to bake those :D

Even the kitty was in a "turkey coma" last night LOL<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:03 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and the bunnies got the dried carrot tops I saved for them from the summer garden :mbounce:

MaggieJ":j5hwyhld said:
My grandmother used to insist on poking each cranberry with a darning needle so they wouldn't pop.
Wow! That's dedication! It can make a bit of a mess with all the spitting, but I think it takes a lot less time to clean the spits than to stab all the cranberries responsible. Besides, the popping noise is fun to listen to. :lol:

Grandma was a bit rigid in the way she did things. :roll:

All the same, I really miss the "generations of women in the kitchen thing" that accompanied the pulling of the bread for stuffing (she insisted on very tiny crumbs and don't you dare squish them... they must be gently torn off.) and the stabbing of the cranberries. When I pull bread for stuffing I feel that Grandma and Mom are with me in spirit.

Grandmother had 4 sisters, 3 daughters and 2 granddaughters and when she wanted me to do something, sometimes it took 5 or 6 names before she got the right one LOL

All the "women folk" in the kitchen/dining room and all the guys watching the game on TV or outside playing touch football ... wine in the kitchen (well watered for us kids), scotch/whisky in the den, phone constantly ringing, the first batch of dinner rolls out of the oven ... good china, waterford crystal, and heavy silver utensils on the table. The snow white "holiday" table cloth and real cloth napkins. Bread and butter plates too. Great Uncle carving the turkey at the table with the biggest butcher knife LOL

Then, on Friday, the guys bring in the Christmas tree and put the Christmas lights up outside and the gals decorated the tree. Then, you have to wait a whole month before opening the presents, but count them each time you go over :D

I'm late to the dinner! We had the following:
Smoked Turkey (I've cooked them in my Green Egg ceramic smoker for years).
Baked Ham
Sweet Potatoe casserole w/ raisins and topped with marshmellow
Broccoli casserole
Squash casserole
Greenbean casserole (Can you see a theme here :lol: )
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Deviled eggs
Cranberry salad
Jellied cranberry sauce from the can (I actually like the stuff, but then I like fruitcake too. :D )
Pumpkin cheesecake
Dutch Apple pie
Sweet tea
Red wine - Merlot and a Chilean blend
Several craft beers - Sweet Water Brewing Ales, Samuel Adams Winter Lager
Coffee
and last but not least assorted soft drinks.
Nobody left hungry and I'm still eating turkey sandwiches even after giving all the leftovers we could to our guests when they left.

Latest posts

Back