Thanksgiving dinner

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
Planning thanksgiving dinner and am wondering what others are having. I was given a small Turkey so will cook up that. I also plan on cooking up a 5 month old buck wrapped in bacon. I will be having some young men from church and my oldest daughter and her boyfriend coming. So with the kids at home we will have some big appetites. 6 boys between the ages of 12 and 21. I will be making butternut squash, glazed carrots,stuffing, jello salad, mashed potatoes and gravy. For dessert we will have pies. Pumpkin, Apple and peach pie. I need something green to go with my dinner does anyone know how to make frozen broccoli or canned green beans special? I don't have anymore money to buy food so it will need to be simple. I have sliced almonds sesame seeds and stuff like that in my cupboards. What are you all having for your feasts?

Demamma":2ffpyubs said:
does anyone know how to make frozen broccoli or canned green beans special?

We always make a green bean casserole with french cut green beans, mushroom soup, and fried onions. It is delicious! The recipe is always on the Campbell's Mushroom soup can this time of year. :)

Ohh! I invited a LOT of people. I think about 20 neighbors or so are showing up.

Here's our menu and who is bringing what. If no name is listed, it's me!

Thanksgiving Menu

Apps:
Deviled eggs
Goat cheese(start freezing milk)
Tricuits
fresh baked Bread
Smoked Salmon spread from friend Mari in Alaska
Freshly jarred Tuna from hubbys Mom

Main dishes:
Turkey (Aurora and Lawrence)
Smoke Meat - Wild Goat and Wild Boar
Ham
Rabbit Sausage Balls?
Venison Sausage (Dad)

Side dishes:
Green Bean casserole
mashed potatoes (Carol and Bob)
Brussel Sprouts (Carol and Bob)
Califlower bread sticks (Carol and Bob)
Cranberry sauce
Cranberry Chutney (Dad)
Stuffing (Julie and Bob)
Salad (Cheyenne and Gemma)

Desert:
PIE (Sylvie and Dan)
fruit Salad

I had to get creative to get a crowd this year since all the usual victims, oops, relatives, are off to the various in-laws. I do most of the cooking and have far more fun than I probably should!

Turkey
Dressing (being brought by chef friend :D )
Green bean casserole
Mashed potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Cranberry chow chow
Corn casserole
Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream
Chocolate pecan pie
Dessert cheese ball (I hope! )

I just started learning to make cheese this fall, so I hope I get the cheese ball done, but if not, I doubt anybody starves on my watch :chef: :fridge: :fainting:

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Cranberry chow chow what is that? Dayna I want to come to your house so many choices yum. Thanks MSD for recipe idea.

dayna":yjl3fhl4 said:
Ohh! I invited a LOT of people. I think about 20 neighbors or so are showing up.

Here's our menu and who is bringing what. If no name is listed, it's me!

Thanksgiving Menu

Apps:
Deviled eggs
Goat cheese(start freezing milk)
Tricuits
fresh baked Bread
Smoked Salmon spread from friend Mari in Alaska
Freshly jarred Tuna from hubbys Mom

Main dishes:
Turkey (Aurora and Lawrence)
Smoke Meat - Wild Goat and Wild Boar
Ham
Rabbit Sausage Balls?
Venison Sausage (Dad)

Side dishes:
Green Bean casserole
mashed potatoes (Carol and Bob)
Brussel Sprouts (Carol and Bob)
Califlower bread sticks (Carol and Bob)
Cranberry sauce
Cranberry Chutney (Dad)
Stuffing (Julie and Bob)
Salad (Cheyenne and Gemma)

Desert:
PIE (Sylvie and Dan)
fruit Salad

So, I can come over to your place for dinner, right? :D :razz:

Demamma, I always love broccoli cheese casserole. Not a big fan of broccoli by itself but I love that casserole! :)

Demamma":1v5n3z6k said:
Cranberry chow chow what is that? Dayna I want to come to your house so many choices yum. Thanks MSD for recipe idea.

Cranberry chow chow? You mean the Chutney? It's kind of like a salsa in texture.. You serve it on/with meat.

Everyone is welcome at my house. So far I'm up to...

20 people? Maybe more? Not sure. Now gotta find seats for everyone.... LOL

This Thanksgiving is going to be a small one here for us. For the past twelve years or so, a family of four that are originally from Canada but have adopted us as their American family have joined us for the entire Thanksgiving weekend. But the girls' stepmom has advanced colon cancer :cry: and is going in for surgery on the 4th of December, so the girls are joining their dad and her for what may be her last Thanksgiving. Mom and stepdad are going to ride their Harleys. :motorcycle: :motorcycle:

On a brighter note, some other friends and their two girls will be here. They will be bringing a vegi plate and other appetizers, a cheese and pasta casserole with jalapenos, and desserts.

If it doesn't rain as scheduled (20% chance), we are going to shoot skeet in the afternoon. :gun:

The menu we will provide is as follows:

Appetizers:

Cracker, salami, and cheese plate
Wensleydale cheese with cranberries will be our "festive" cheese selection this year. We also have cheddar, Swiss, and Havarti.
Deviled eggs

Main course:

Home raised turkey
Stuffing
Home raised honey glazed ham
Mashed potatoes
Two gravy selections; one made with the turkey drippings and the other made with ham drippings
Cranberry sauce with Grand Marnier and Mandarin Oranges
Candied Yams
Green bean casserole
Rolls

Beverages:

Wine and Champagne
Martinelli's Sparkling cider for the kids' champagne flutes
Mulled cider
Eggnog- virgin for the kids, with brandy for the adults
Jack Daniel's Honey Jack Whiskey for the gents

Dessert:

Queenpup is going to make Chocolate Mint Divinity
See's Candy

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you are surrounded by friends and family, with much good cheer all around!

Just me and hubby this year, so we're going non-traditional...black bean chili cooked on the woodstove.

An organization my hubby works with gave us a turkey, and we will be giving it to a neighbor in need.

I hope everyone has a terrific Thanksgiving!

Yep, the chow chow is similar to a chutney. This recipe has stuff in it that normally a cranberry would go no where near, but it's yummy stuff! If I hadn't just flopped in the recliner, I'd post the recipe. Maybe later :)

LOL @ 3mina

My Canadian American neighbors (getting citizen stuff now) are spending their first American Thanksgiving with us!

MamaSheepdog":2k4uqub6 said:
If it doesn't rain as scheduled (20% chance), we are going to shoot skeet in the afternoon. :gun:

I have never heard of any one else shooting on thanksgiving! We eat a big meal normally along the lines of:

Ham
Turkey

green beans (canned with bacon :)
cottage cheese
mac and cheese
mashed potatoes
gravy
stuffing
rolls

coke products :)

Better then s*x cake
brownies
éclair cake

at least 5+ things I can't remember.. there are 20-25 people, a lot of men with BIG appetites. It's a lot of food :)

Anyways after the meal, and about an hour of story telling ect, we go down to the pond/woods and target and skeet shoot. We have a blast, the dad's even make bets on who's child is a better shot :) Every one thinks we are crazy but I love it. My grandma and the women who don't shoot stay at the house and chat, they enjoy getting some adult lady time too. It's cool to see others enjoying the 2nd amendment :)

Legacy Lane":11bupgds said:
MamaSheepdog wrote:

I have never heard of any one else shooting on thanksgiving!

Anyways after the meal, and about an hour of story telling ect, we go down to the pond/woods and target and skeet shoot. We have a blast, the dad's even make bets on who's child is a better shot :)

You guys shoot on Thanksgiving, too! :p We shoot on Independence Day too because the fire hazard is to great to set off fireworks, and we need some kind of explosives! :fireworks1:

Legacy Lane":11bupgds said:
It's cool to see others enjoying the 2nd amendment :)

The way I see it, it is the perfect way to celebrate! No doubt guns provided most of the meat on the table in those early days! :D

*I hope you don't mind, but I edited out the bulk of the text in your quote of my post, since it was such a long one. I just left the pertinent part. :)

MamaSheepdog":ybph4nwv said:
Legacy Lane":ybph4nwv said:
MamaSheepdog wrote:

I have never heard of any one else shooting on thanksgiving!

Anyways after the meal, and about an hour of story telling ect, we go down to the pond/woods and target and skeet shoot. We have a blast, the dad's even make bets on who's child is a better shot :)

You guys shoot on Thanksgiving, too! :p We shoot on Independence Day too because the fire hazard is to great to set off fireworks, and we need some kind of explosives! :fireworks1:

Legacy Lane":ybph4nwv said:
It's cool to see others enjoying the 2nd amendment :)

The way I see it, it is the perfect way to celebrate! No doubt guns provided most of the meat on the table in those early days! :D

*I hope you don't mind, but I edited out the bulk of the text in your quote of my post, since it was such a long one. I just left the pertinent part. :)

I haven't learnt how to do that yet or I would have lol... I thought if you deleted some of it, none of it would be quoted.. I learn something new every day :)
I agree, guns are a great way to celebrate. :) I love to shoot! We tend to shoot on Christmas afternoon too, that started from my bother getting a new gun :)

My family is actually having a few guests for Thanksgiving, and for the first time EVER it'll be at my aunt's place. :) Each of us is bringing one to three dishes to pass.

My dad is bringing the turkey, plus he's making his amazing mashed potatoes and turkey stuffing.

My aunt is making some kind of salad; it's like...fruit suspended in jello or something, IDK. But I love fruit, I love jello, I am sure it will be yummy. Also she's making steamed broccoli.

The guests are debating between bringing bread/rolls and some other vegetable-based foods (one is a vegetarian).

I am bringing a jar of my "special" dill pickles and a bunch of sliced venison summer sausage to eat on crackers with swiss cheese and mustard, for appetizers...and tomorrow, I am making a corn casserole and baking some pies. :) I'm actually pretty jazzed...while clearing all my granddad's stuff out of the condo during renovations...I found a little box of specialty Swedish-made cookie cutters he used. I will use them tomorrow to embellish the pies. :)

It should be a pretty epic feast!!!

Back