Texas Roll Call

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
Okay, who's breeding for meat in Texas? Where are you at? What breed? What size litters? What are your avg 12 week kit weights?

I am in Austin. Currently I have a breeding trio from Texas A&M I purchased from Dr. Lukefahr that are his "composite" breed. Does are averaging 10 kits per litter. Winter/Spring kit weights are 5lbs in 11 weeks. Summer kits were much slower...about a 4.75lb avg at 12 weeks.

I am passively looking for a nice pick of the litter doe, breed doesn't matter, meat/market characteristics do.

My does are due today and Saturday. I don't think either took so I will most likely be re-breeding this weekend. Hope all is well,

Joe

I am in Texas! I haven't been on in a while, it was a busy summer with the kids out of school. I live outside of Elgin. I am raising mostly Californians but am just getting set up with a better building for them so haven't done much breeding in a while. I am also trying to get started in Rex as well.

I'm in the ant colony they call Houston .... unfortunately.

I have a small herd of Rex , four does , two lilac , one chocolate & one tri color with one buck that is chocolate along with two meat mutts that are Altex / NZ crosses.

I'm in Kyle, about 20 or so miles south of you, depending on where you are in Austin. My rabbits are on break from breeding due to the heat last summer and my work hours. I'm hoping to restart this coming weekend.

Not that I need to, though. My freezer is still full of rabbit and deer. Another freezer is on standby.

I have a breeding trio of Texas A&M NZWs. Other than that, I have a breeding pair of NZWs and one of Californians. A Flemish buck and mutt doe finish the group.

I don't take weights, but I figure mine are close to 5 lbs at slaughter. That's anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks, depending on when I have time. My Californians have been the fastest growing of the bunch so far.

TMTEX,

I'd like to link up later in the fall if possible. I need an outcross for my next generation and am thinking my best option will be to buy another buck, or better yet, to pay someone to use theirs as stud. If you'd be open to such an arrangement let me know.

Joe
[email protected]

Breeding wasn't successful and I'm finding that I no longer have time to mess with the rabbits. If anyone wants them, they're available, no charge. One of the Texas A&M breeding trio does turned out to be a buck. He seems very motivated, so I'd say he's a keeper.

Here's the list:

Buck - Show quality (one leg won) Pedigreed NZW
Doe - Half sister to above buck - Pedigreed NZW - 7 kits per litter with above buck
Buck - Texas A&M NZW - printed breeding pedigree shows to be a doe, but is an obvious buck - Very motivated and looks like a good breeder
Buck - Texas A&M NZW - printed breeding pedigree - clueless
Doe - Texas A&M NZW - printed breeding pedigree - first breeding not successful
Doe - NZW - good breeder- 9 kits on first litter with Cali buck- all survived.
Buck - Flemish Giant - appears to be a mix - good breeder
Buck - Californian - Good breeder - large for a Cali
Doe - Californian - Good breeder - kits show other colors, so she's most likely a mix - 9 kits per litter with Flemish buck, two litters but only 4 survived last one

Please take all.

Dry doe - Dutch Mix - pet. We'll be keeping her unless someone wants her for a pet.

TMTex":7vfuou6m said:
Breeding wasn't successful and I'm finding that I no longer have time to mess with the rabbits. If anyone wants them, they're available, no charge. One of the Texas A&M breeding trio does turned out to be a buck. He seems very motivated, so I'd say he's a keeper.

Here's the list:

Buck - Show quality (one leg won) Pedigreed NZW
Doe - Half sister to above buck - Pedigreed NZW - 7 kits per litter with above buck
Buck - Texas A&M NZW - printed breeding pedigree shows to be a doe, but is an obvious buck - Very motivated and looks like a good breeder
Buck - Texas A&M NZW - printed breeding pedigree - clueless
Doe - Texas A&M NZW - printed breeding pedigree - first breeding not successful
Doe - NZW - good breeder- 9 kits on first litter with Cali buck- all survived.
Buck - Flemish Giant - appears to be a mix - good breeder
Buck - Californian - Good breeder - large for a Cali
Doe - Californian - Good breeder - kits show other colors, so she's most likely a mix - 9 kits per litter with Flemish buck, two litters but only 4 survived last one

Please take all.

Dry doe - Dutch Mix - pet. We'll be keeping her unless someone wants her for a pet.

I am very interested. Now that the bunny barn is finished we have space to spare. Where in Texas Are you again? Are you interested in selling cages too?

The meat rabbits are cmfarm's, awaiting cages. I'll be getting back into rabbits later when time comes available, so I'll be keeping the cages/setup.

Latest posts

Back