Temporary housing help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily

Reaction score
We had a nice set up in our outbuilding for our buns. They were in hanging cages with fans, a mister and plenty of water. However, we ran into some problems with the power last night, and had to shut it off. According to the electrician husband, it'll be a very long while until he has time to sort it out.

This wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't hitting 90 degrees here, and getting even hotter in the (metal) building. Today we rushed them all inside after we noticed that Wylie, my favorite red buck, was distressed. So now they're inside with a completely improvised solution to our problem. We have their (pan-less) cages sitting over some large plastic containers with big black trash bags directing the waste into them.

I knew we'd eventually need to bring them in when the weather started getting crazy (100+ degrees) so I ordered a stacking system from Klubertanz a few days ago but they're backlogged quite a bit. We don't have a lot of money to sink into cheap TSC cages for the month.

Any ideas on how to house them until the new cages come in? Right now, we have just our Satin trio, but they're all in the 30x30 cages my husband built. I thought about fashioning a divider of some kind and moving two buns into the same cage, but I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Is the barn far from the house? If not, could you purchase a couple long extension cords for the fans (from your home to the barn)? How about creating a pressure mister?

It's too far for any extension cords, we tried that before we wired the building. Right now, anything short of an a/c in there won't work. It's like an oven. They'll have to be in the house.

I'll try the litter box idea, thanks.

I have some dog crates i use for emergency housing.sometimes i get them free and sometimes they are cheap.

curlysue":2ptjsmh0 said:
I have some dog crates i use for emergency housing.sometimes i get them free and sometimes they are cheap.

We could definitely use your findings at the rescue. ;) Crates are very expensive here; $80 - $150

Even used crates on Craigslist and Kijiji are generally full price.

If Klubertanz is too backlogged and they have not shipped yet, cancel the order and get them from Bass Equipment. They usually ship pretty quickly. Or check www.bunnyrabbit.com. Where in Texas are you?

UPCO sells stacker units, as well, and they can take your order over the phone- let you know if they are ins stock right off...Skysthelimit has a set that I traded to her-- I still have two sets-- they are a good quality cage..

OneAcreFarm":3r8yxybv said:
If Klubertanz is too backlogged and they have not shipped yet, cancel the order and get them from Bass Equipment. They usually ship pretty quickly. Or check http://www.bunnyrabbit.com. Where in Texas are you?

Wasn't there an issue with the Bass Eq cages not having the 14 ga floor wire? Or was that just TSC?

AnnClaire":2iiltoo2 said:
Wasn't there an issue with the Bass Eq cages not having the 14 ga floor wire? Or was that just TSC?

BASS has 16g floor wire.

Latest posts

Back