Tattoo pen... Which one and where to buy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
I have read about the Kbtatt one and it looks good...
Which do you like?

Tips on ink to purchase?do you need to change needles between rabbits or do they last a while?

Where to buy? Canadian distributor is a bonus!

I have the Kbtatt. I hate tattooing, but I'm getting better at it. I'm not convinced it's the best, or at least I'm not convinced I'm writing "deep" enough with it. :cry:

Zass":yz60pebg said:
Kbtatt needles are supposed to last for a few rabbits. I have only ever used my pen on myself, so I'm not sure how well it works on rabbits. :blush:
Let's see! Or... is it somewhere you cannot show us?

A few rabbits!? How many needles should I have on hand??

Zinnia":2k7ym9w6 said:
Zass":2k7ym9w6 said:
Kbtatt needles are supposed to last for a few rabbits. I have only ever used my pen on myself, so I'm not sure how well it works on rabbits. :blush:
Let's see! Or... is it somewhere you cannot show us?

A few rabbits!? How many needles should I have on hand??

I'm too shy to show my tattoos online :oops: even though they are places that can be shown :lol: , but I did give myself two of them, and they are as dark today as when I put them on me last year...I think?

I never had a tattoo, but it sure seems like everybody I know does. I was so worried about my altered appearance when I got my ears pierced at age 18 that I took the posts out that very night and let them close. Strange, I know. But, I did just let my six yo get her ears pierced, because it was inevitable.

Zinnia":aymlxtby said:
I never had a tattoo, but it sure seems like everybody I know does. I was so worried about my altered appearance when I got my ears pierced at age 18 that I took the posts out that very night and let them close. Strange, I know. But, I did just let my six yo get her ears pierced, because it was inevitable.

I've given tattoos to others as well, just not with the kbtatts pen, with a professional quality machine from Spaulding & Rogers. :lol:

I'm not interested in having my own shop, and the area I live is actually too sparsely populated to have shops with multiple artists (we rarely even have a shop with one artist open for more than a year)... so I do not consider it a possible career path here.

I don't mind working on people though, because they are willing and can tell me if there is pain. It's psychologically harder for me to tattoo the rabbits because they do not understand why it's happening.

Zinnia":38iu8s8z said:
I get that with the rabbits. :cry:

So.... IS it really painful for humans?

It stings, like...more irritating than painful, but everyone has different levels of pain tolerance. :shrug:

The kbtatts pen for bunnies actually hurt me less than the human-grade machine, so I feel pretty good about using it.

You guys are funny!
I have two tatts-- inner lower arm and inner ankle.
They stung but only hurt as came over bone on ankle and around to side of arm.

I'm a needleworker as my business so I'm confident with handling the pen (I needlefelt LOL) but wasn't sure about how well these work -- I thought I read something about getting different ink than it comes with? It sounds like getting a few needles is a good plan.

Zass-- are the needles universal or specific to the pen?

If I can mark the meat kits it will help me keep track better in trying to choose grow outs. With 33 kits right now and 11 chestnuts and 12-15 pointed white I need help LOL

I too am interested to hear about what kinda tattoo pen to get. I always have other breeders tattoo my buns for shows... But as my rabbitry gets bigger I think its time to figure it out myself. Also what are openions on the clamp tattoos... Only seen them used once... They seem more painful possibly? But also way easier.... Also does anyone have helpful tattooing tips? Though I have more then my fair share of skin overed with them... Im a little afriad to give one... Even if it is just on a bunny.

I did quite a bit of research on rabbit tattooing a while back. Read lots of reviews by people who were using them. Still not sure which one I'll order.

But I did read where some folks will hold an ice cube on the back side of the rabbit's ear prior to tattooing. Helps to numb the ear and apparently they then have little or no trouble with the rabbit reacting to the needle. They kind of "wrap" the ear around the ice cube for a few minutes.

Also, lots of people cautioned against the clamp-type. Too easy to push the needles all the way through a young rabbit's ear. And, if the rabbit reacts to the pain it can tear the ear. From what I learned, it sure sounds like the tattoo pen is the way to go.

Some folks use a restraining box just large enough to hold the rabbit. Some of the boxes have a cover that then allows you to just have the ear you're tattooing sticking out.

But I was at a rabbit show when I bought my Florida Whites and saw people sitting on the floor with a rabbit in their lap, tattooing with one of the pens. The rabbit hardly seemed to notice.

Guess I'll learn soon enough as this is a decision I've got to make soon, too.

Eager to hear what people here are using.

Randy

The kbtatts needles are specific.
It's really just an electric toothbrush made into a tattoo pen, the needles are standard human grade ones that have been cut and inserted into these little hose-things to make it fit the pen.

Also, I had no problems with the ink they sent, and I suspect it's also just human grade stuff.

Hmm...I have seen someone tattoo rabbits with a canvas wrap that had velcro, and a slot for ears.

One breeder I buy from often tattoos my purchased rabbit on the spot as she dilivers it. I'm always impressed by the ease in which she does this. It seems like it's a matter of getting confident with it.

I used to do burned drawings on leather. Can't erase that! At first I was shaky, but after doing several dozen, I just got better because of my confidence. Of course the leather didn't flinch. ;)

I have an Inkinator. Toothbrush type as well. First thing I did with that puppy was ruin my needle while feeding it through the thingamajig that held it in place. After I got a new needle...*smacks self* I promptly failed to produce a visible tattoo. Finally I bundled bunny in towel, put a sponge under the ear I was tattooing and all of a sudden I was tattooing! I decided to not use complex curvy letters for the time being since my handwriting, on a good day, is not really that legible. I also decided less was best as far as bunnies are concerned. I think the sponge stopped the ear from vibrating away from the needle because without it no ink was getting where it needed to be :) <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> Makes nice clean tattoos. Just a bit shaky from my hands but each one gets better and better.

Latest posts

Back