Tans, Thriantas or Dutch?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliveoil

Reaction score
I've been raising Holland Lops for several years and have become very frustrated.

Wanting to try a small breed that doesn't carry the dwarf gene and have narrowed it down to tans, thriantas or dutch.

Anyone experienced with breeding these, please tell me what you like/don't like about them.

Thanks!

I'm a little prejudiced, but Tans get my vote! Love their spunk, curiosity. I really don't have anything I can say bad about them, that I wouldn't say bad about any rabbit at some point in time. You just have to know going in that they aren't for the most part going to be a lap bunny and enjoy being held for any length of time from zilch to a few minutes max.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 pm __________<br /><br />

Why are you asking??....The simple solution is All THREE :p :lol:

OK seriously of the three breeds, I've only had Dutch and I adore them so I'd pick those but if I could I would love to get some Thriantas for a new breed. Of course if I could I'd get all three! :mrgreen:

Havana's. But three totally different breeds. Tans are running breed, beautiful and nervous breed. Thrianta are much smaller gene pool. So National caliber stock will be big $$. Dutch more out there to choose from but mismarked kits will be difficult at times.

I'm partial to Thriantas not gonna lie ;) as long as they are given attention they are a very sweet curious breed. Getting the right color can be a challenge as well as finding ones that don't just look like mini NZR at least where I live anyway. I just can't say no to those chubby red cheeks :)

Thanks for your input.

Decided dutch markings are too difficult and I can't find much information on thriantas.

Still love the idea of tans but I'm a little worried because a lot of people are saying they're too high strung.
Thinking about getting a junior tan to try the breed out.

Really like the shiny chocolate havanas but would probably run out of room quickly with their large litters and my small cages (24x24x18).

A few people suggested polish, so I'm looking into them. Maybe I'll start a thread.

I have limited space so I'm really trying to make a smart decision, otherwise I'd try them all!

I disagree with the term "high strung" in referring to Tans. To me high strung implies a rabbit that is bouncing of the sides of its cage, easily excitable, etc. A Britannia Petite is a "high strung" rabbit in my mind. A Tan is more an active rabbit. They are not flighty, and other than the holding part are pretty laid back. The majority of my herd love ear rubs, etc. They just don't care to be picked up to do it. Some are more tolerant than others, it just depends upon the individual. If you're going to get one I would suggest you get a buck, as they are more laid back than the does, at least until you get a feel for them. Whatever your choice - good luck :).

oliveoil":1gfy031p said:
Thanks for your input.

Really like the shiny chocolate havanas but would probably run out of room quickly with their large litters and my small cages (24x24x18).

A few people suggested polish, so I'm looking into them. Maybe I'll start a thread.

My Senior Buck and unbred does are kept in 24X24X18. Some people keep bucks in 18X24. I have noticed that bigger cages tend to have difficulty keeping weight on bucks. My bred does are in 24X30. Jr's I keep in 18X24. Litter sizes are between 5-8. Polish are a great little breed, but then your dealing with the 'dwarf' gene again.

Thrianta's are difficult, either you love them or you learn to hate them
you end up judging fine differentiation

HOWEVER, you also get in early, as the breed has only be established 10? years with the last standard being the SECOND one they were standardized for.

yeah, unless you like talking about depth of color, fur density...
but if you do,

It's a double edge sword, you win breed on color, but... the the animals with the best color are often off in body, and will never win show...
there is till work to do.

Back