Tanning after non purposeful death?..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheBrightside

Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure how to phrase that. But I raise Rex, and love the fur. I refuse to purposefully kill my rabbits for human use, though I've no problem with other people who do it, but I like to make use of animals once they die. So basically what I want to know is if it would be a problem to tan the hides of rabbits that die from other causes? As long as they are in good condition, that is.
Thanks in advance.

what other causese do you have rabbits dieing from?,,,,I think it would depend what the animal died from.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm __________<br /><br />do you breed rabbits?

OnTheBrightside":2gr0zpnh said:
So basically what I want to know is if it would be a problem to tan the hides of rabbits that die from other causes?

Sure, why not?

MamaSheepdog, I thought the same thing but didn't know if maybe the rabbit was dead a few hours before you found it, overnight maybe, the hide wouldn't be the same as it is right after death. I really know nothing about this stuff. :b
And toastedoat: I don't normally have rabbits that die, but I do have some that I keep for a long time that die of old age, and very seldom young juniors from unknown causes. I guess it has to do with enteritis or something along those lines..
I have had a rabbit die of a heat stroke as well, and strangely from a cold snap a couple winters ago. The doe was a bit older though.

OnTheBrightside":11gv3ioz said:
MamaSheepdog, I thought the same thing but didn't know if maybe the rabbit was dead a few hours before you found it, overnight maybe, the hide wouldn't be the same as it is right after death.

At worst the hair will slip due to bacteria/decay. At best you'll wind up with a tanned hide. The cause of death should not play a part. Just wear gloves when skinning.

If the hide was ok you may have to store it cuz I think you usually tan multiple hides at once. I only have 4 do they are in storage

Back