Taming the babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajtiii

Reaction score
Our Lionhead had her first litter and the babies are about 3 weeks old, eyes open and furry. Can we take them from the mom and begin to get them used to human interaction? I was thinking of putting them in a box that we could more easily contain them in for an hour before returning them to mama, trying to do this on a regular basis to tame them.

they are sort of wild right now

Why did you wait so long?
I'm able to handle all of my rabbits because I start handling them from the day they're born (Or the day I get them, for rabbits I buy/get)

so, taking them from the mum for around an hour won’t be an issue?

I start when they are about to open eyes, just taking them out, holding and petting them until they are calm and relaxed. Some minutes each. Now, at 3 weeks, I still do the same, and let them hop back into the nestbox from my open hand by themself. I also just put my hand in the box and pet them a little when I pass that hutch.

Once they are mobile I think taking them out for an hour isn't a problem as long as it's not nursing time, and as long they have their nest to retreat to - they aren't awake for a full hour, they still rest regularily, but that's ok if it's about getting them used to your presence and occasional interaction. My does wouldn't even notice since they are out in the garden the whole day.

Why did you wait so long?
I'm able to handle all of my rabbits because I start handling them from the day they're born (Or the day I get them, for rabbits I buy/get)
Is there any risk of the mother rejecting them if you start too soon?

Latest posts

Back