Symbols As Rabbit ID Tattoo

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowlsOfAngels

Reaction score
I suppose this would go here...

So, I was just wondering, I've seen a variety of tattoos used for identification in rabbits, most are simply letters and numbers paired to indicate age or the like, and sometimes even short names are tattooed in their. However, I've never seen a rabbit with a symbol in its ear to indicate... well, anything really. Has anyone seen a rabbit with just a simple symbol drawn? Such as ~ or * or ♣ or ♦ or ♥ ?

I was contemplating what system I'd like to use when I begin to raise meat rabbits in the next couple of years, but I don't think I'd want to use an overly complicated system of letters and numbers to identify, say, kits in a communal grow out pen, if most of them will be dinner. Know what I mean? So, I was thinking, why not assign each rabbit a symbol and draw those symbols in the kits ears so that their parentage is easily observed, keepers can be chosen more quickly (to replace their parents), and bloodlines can be tracked more easily.

HowlsOfAngels":1qx0yped said:
I suppose this would go here...

So, I was just wondering, I've seen a variety of tattoos used for identification in rabbits, most are simply letters and numbers paired to indicate age or the like, and sometimes even short names are tattooed in their. However, I've never seen a rabbit with a symbol in its ear to indicate... well, anything really. Has anyone seen a rabbit with just a simple symbol drawn? Such as ~ or * or ♣ or ♦ or ♥ ?

I was contemplating what system I'd like to use when I begin to raise meat rabbits in the next couple of years, but I don't think I'd want to use an overly complicated system of letters and numbers to identify, say, kits in a communal grow out pen, if most of them will be dinner. Know what I mean? So, I was thinking, why not assign each rabbit a symbol and draw those symbols in the kits ears so that their parentage is easily observed, keepers can be chosen more quickly (to replace their parents), and bloodlines can be tracked more easily.

That would work fine for meat or pet rabbits. Some breeders tattoo a heart so the rabbit can't be entered into a show by a buyer or re-tattooed and passed off as a show animal. I'm thinking of doing the same for my meat bunnies.

Back