Surprise litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dood

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, THAT was unexpected.

One of the does from my show bloodline, you know the ones I am often complaining about because they are hard to get pregnant and have smallish litters of 5 to 8 just had a litter of.....

wait for it.....

I am completely unprepared as I was hoping to use her as a foster mom to the kits from the other doe i bred and who usually has 10 !

Good grief :groooan:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 139
Have you been getting the same wonky weather all year long as we have here (not up on my international weather patterns this year)?

Maybe this cold/spring/cold/spring reset her bio clock?

Well, at least it's not just me. My unreliable meat mutt momma who almost never takes and had tiny litters when she does just had eight beautiful little wrigglers. And the funny thing was that I already bought a doe to replace her. Now I have to test breed the new doe when she's ready and decide who I want to keep, since I was trying to scale back that side of the operation to work on angora show lines.

Skysthelimit":2ebmbfl2 said:
Maybe this cold/spring/cold/spring reset her bio clock?
It's pretty much been typical from October to the middle of December (when she got pregnant), and then the yo-yoing started of going from -5 one week to 45 the next.

PSFAngoras":2ebmbfl2 said:
I already bought a doe to replace her.
Exactly ! I too was planning to replace her but now I'm wondering if I should keep her around.

ilovehome":2ebmbfl2 said:
Good problem, perhaps?
Not really. I had decided to weed out this bloodline and now I'm not sure.

I'd take it as a happy accident and see what size her next litter is. If it's just a fluke, carry on with your original plan. At least that's what I'd do.

Back