Supplying your own food for pets..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheBrightside

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone here uses their rabbits (Or other animals for that matter, poultry, cows ect) to feed their other pets.
I am all for self-sufficiency and I figure that this would be a good option to lower the cost of pet food. In the future, I plan on having a fox and want to provide him a natural diet, so I'll be using fresh-killed culls as part of it. As well as for any other carnivorous animals I may have.
So.. anybody else thought about or do use them for this?

you can own a fox as a pet???

And yes, people own rabbits/snakes/ferrets/cats and use their own culls to feed them.

I was just wondering about people on here, and their experience with it. Digestive/health wise and ect. If they prefer to remove parts or just give the whole animal.
And I plan on it. :) It depends on where I end up living after I move out, as they are only legal in certain states. But if I stay here in Indiana I definatley will.
(By the way, the fox would be bought from a licensed breeder, not wild caught ;)

My dog mostly gets farm grown meat especially during the fall/winter when we do alot of butchering. I would not feed a dog a whole animal if you dont want a large mess, It would probably be best to remove the guts and hide in most situations. As far as health/digestive issues the only problem I have run into is the dog can get quite fat which doesnt bother me during the winter when the dog does nothing but lay around anyways. From a cost perspective I would probably raise/feed chicken over rabbits since chickens can typically eat a more varied diet (any table scraps) and they have alil better feed to weight ratio. That being said several members on here raise rabbits for dog food and seem completely happy doing it.

Good to know, if I feed the whole animal it would have to be an outdoor thing of course, I know fox need some of the organs to be healthy so I might have to see if I can handle the mess.
I will more than likely have both chickens and rabbits, so both would be used.
I will just have to make sure to watch the weight thing, but if thats the only problem I'm not even worried about it.

My dog is on a raw diet and is the reason I started raising rabbits again. I now have enough supply to sell the extra rabbits and break even on the cost of their up keep. Some months I even make a little profit :D

She gets 3% of her body weight each day and gets rabbit 3-4 times a week then chicken, turkey, duck, beef, sheep, pork, fish and anything else the other days. As rabbit is a pretty lean meat I add extra fat and/or oil to her rabbit meals. I also give her 15% fruit and vegetable matter that is finely chopped.

The only problem I've had is constipation. When I first started her on the diet her stools were very chalky and dry due to the high digestibility of the meat and the high bone content. Adding fruits and vegetables to her diet has solved this problem.

There are quite a few raw diet websites and Facebook groups but there can quite a bit of drama on them. A lot of them push for 100% meat and bone diets which I do not agree with. Please do your research on fox diets and check what the zoos feed theirs.

Oh of course, I've been studying foxes for several years now. Its incredible how many different foods they need every day. But, I'm a "health freak" and eat a lot of those foods/have them around the house anyway, so just means buying a little more. :)
I raise (Well, will, I stopped last year for a while) show rabbits mainly, but realized that its a lot healthier than commercial pet food as well as cheaper, seeing as I will already have the culls. I sell them as pets but I'm super picky about who they go to, so the extras will have their purpose now.
I plan to have a few of just about all the animals you listed so it sounds like I should be good on the different types of meat. :)

I think you can feed a whole rabbit as part of a raw/natural diet. I saw a cool "recipe" online for rabbit as an occasional cat food...they put the WHOLE RABBIT into a super-powerful grinder. It puree'd the whole rabbit. It squirted out as INSTA CAT FOOD...I was delighted and slightly horrified at the same time. Bunny in, CAT FOOD OUT! So I bet a fox who's natural prey includes rabbits would do well if just handed a fresh-killed bunny! :) Just be careful about slaughter methods, if you use a pellet gun or a firearm, the bullet/pellet/whatever has to be removed.

I feed my dogs rabbit whole, fur on, unless I want the pelt. If they don,t want the pelt, they leave it for me to pick out. Raw eating happens outside, they don,t make a mss, and they wipe up after themselves, better than most humans do.

I also feed my dogs raw. I haven't fed them our own rabbits yet (I'm just starting out, and one family member does not completely like the idea). I do know that rabbit is so lean that you must have other, fattier, meat often... as for the veggies and fruits- I don't feed them and my dogs do perfectly fine. When I offer it, my dogs sometimes lick fruit/veggies, but rarely eat it.

My post sounds like I am opposed to feeding only meat and bones and that is not the case, what I am opposed to is shoving this method down new comers necks or telling me I am killing my dog because she gets a bit if apple, pear, carrot, squash, kale etc.. in her diet or repeating the mantra. "They don't need it " .

The drama and one sidedness is what I am opposed to. If your dog does well on meat and bones then great but my pup didn't and adding the fruit and veg helped.

I sometimes give my dogs whole rabbits, but usually they prefer to "age" them for a day or two (or more depending on the weather) before eating them. When I butcher, they will take the feet, heads, and guts, and eat them fresh. They will also take any pelts that I am not saving.

The only time it is "messy" is when I do a bunch of rabbits (a dozen or more) and give them all of the guts at once- the cecum and stomach are eaten eagerly at first, but they are usually the only things left over from the gut bowl if they are fed a large amount. Inevitably, that stomach and cecum end up on the front porch. :? :sick:

I also sometimes give rabbit to the cats, and they always get any kits found dead in the nest. The chickens also enjoy the guts.

OnTheBrightside":1ic0nz3s said:
I plan on having a fox

Cool! Have you heard of the Russian fur fox experiment, where they selected for tameness over many generations, and the surprising genetic changes that resulted?

The short version:

http://www.brighthub.com/science/geneti ... 46555.aspx

In depth article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/807641/posts

Dood":1ic0nz3s said:
My post sounds like I am opposed to feeding only meat and bones and that is not the case, what I am opposed to is shoving this method down new comers necks or telling me I am killing my dog because she gets a bit if apple, pear, carrot, squash, kale etc.. in her diet or repeating the mantra. "They don't need it " .

The drama and one sidedness is what I am opposed to. If your dog does well on meat and bones then great but my pup didn't and adding the fruit and veg helped.

I feed a grain free kibble, but the dogs also get a lot of leftovers... which usually means rice or pasta (grains, oh my!), cooked vegis, and cooked meat. My daughter's dog Basil loves fruit- apple, watermelon, you name it, she'll eat it.

I've also caught the pups helping themselves to chick crumble if the bag is not put in the galvanized can where it belongs, and the dogs will also eat chicken scratch if we feed it to the chickens outside of their coop.

Personally, I believe that dogs do need some vegetable matter- otherwise, why do they eat the poop of horses, goats, rabbits, and even chickens?

If you read the study about the fur foxes above, you will see that there are thousands of genetic changes that occur with domestication (quote: They observed 40 gene differences between tame farm-bred silver foxes and aggressive farm-bred silver foxes, and 2700 gene difference between the two sets of farm-bred silver foxes and wild silver foxes. ), so saying that dogs should be fed just like wolves is probably untrue.

I am quite certain that early people did not give their dogs first choice at the carcass, instead feeding them any scraps that were available, including grains and vegetables. ;)

My Boxer is on raw and she needs fruit and veg.
She also loves finding rabbit in her dish, same with the Frenchie. The Frenchie will eat skin on if I let her but the Boxer is clueless about whole 'skin on' items.

Glad to hear everybody's success with it!
Dood: I understood what you meant, drama sucks. :b

Mama: Yeah! I think its really cool they are doing that, though I will be going the "tamed" version instead of domesticated. I think it takes away a lot of the "foxy" behavior and would somewhat defeat my purpose. Plus they are crazy expensive! $8,900.. as compared to about $400 for one bred here in the US.
I'm glad I haven't had anybody jump at me for it, usually people don't like the idea.

Dood":px8atbaq said:

the shepherds eat cucumbers off of the vines, and will eat my gren tomatoes if i don't pull them' they love the peaches that fall off the trees. Mostly they love to get a baked potato every so often. I only responded to the meat because the questioned was askedabout raising foor for them, and since I don't actually raise the chicken or potatoes i feel them' id didn't inlude that part of the diet.

OnTheBrightside":2dd3vgf2 said:
Glad to hear everybody's success with it!
Dood: I understood what you meant, drama sucks. :b

Mama: Yeah! I think its really cool they are doing that, though I will be going the "tamed" version instead of domesticated. I think it takes away a lot of the "foxy" behavior and would somewhat defeat my purpose. Plus they are crazy expensive! $8,900.. as compared to about $400 for one bred here in the US.
I'm glad I haven't had anybody jump at me for it, usually people don't like the idea.

If we can get 'meat' and 'pet' people to play nicely here I think we can deal with the idea of a pet fox
We're flexible that way :D

3mina":3r2yjm6y said:
If we can get 'meat' and 'pet' people to play nicely here I think we can deal with the idea of a pet fox
We're flexible that way :D

Haha, this is true. I like this forum more than any other I've been on.
Actually this forum is the only reason I'm okay with using rabbits for food. (Though I still wouldn't eat them)

I joined this site to get info on breeding rabbits for my snakes. My boa eats baby rabbits now so I figured why not make my own. Now I hope to start breeding for pets, pet food and our own food.

I couldn't feed the babies to an animal (Though understand why you do). Did you find it hard because they were so young? Just curious. :)

MamaSheepdog":21ez54cg said:
I also sometimes give rabbit to the cats, and they always get any kits found dead in the nest. The chickens also enjoy the guts.
I'm still having a hard time with this. One froze, and it was a good sized kit (about 3 ounces). My pragmatic side told me to toss it to the pup, but I just couldn't do it. We gave it a Viking funeral.

MamaSheepdog":21ez54cg said:
Personally, I believe that dogs do need some vegetable matter- otherwise, why do they eat the poop of horses, goats, rabbits, and even chickens?
Same reason rabbits do, to get all those vitamins/minerals that escaped the herbivore's digestion.

I do agree that dogs in general shouldn't be likened to wolves quite so much. Some are scavengers and closer to coyotes. My dachs-mix thrived on an all-meat diet, but he's got an extremely high predator drive. I think my beagle-mix would want some plant matter, as he's more of a scavenger.

Back