Sunny-Bear is back!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
So, when I moved to Wyoming whenever-time ago, then-husband and I left our dog Sunny with my parents. They then gave her away to a friend of mine. Last time I saw her, she was just a baby.

But then...

Ex-hubby got her back about, a month or so ago? Then his landlord found out he had a dog, and he had to find a place for her.

Guess who has her best girl back? :D :D :D

Does Sunny want to be a SAR dog, or does she want to be a bird dog? Time will only tell, but it seems wonderful timing to me!

I missed my Sunny so, so much, and I'm thrilled to have her back. She was Bandit's best buddy. Sunny's a 1/4 beagle, 1/4 cattle dog, 1/2 Brittany, and is almost two (I think?).

upclose.jpg

sitting-1.jpg

face.jpg

Welcome home, SunnyBear!

Did she go bananas when she saw you, or had she forgotten you?

She's pretty- and reminds me of our Miss Basil-Woo, mama to our pups, only in spaniel form!

Maybe Sunny wants to do both! I'm sure she could differentiate between the two- "Mom has the long-gun, we must be going hunting!"

MamaSheepdog":39o3fytm said:
Welcome home, SunnyBear!

Did she go bananas when she saw you, or had she forgotten you?

She's pretty- and reminds me of our Miss Basil-Woo, mama to our pups, only in spaniel form!

Maybe Sunny wants to do both! I'm sure she could differentiate between the two- "Mom has the long-gun, we must be going hunting!"

She was very, very tired when we got her (she had worms pretty bad, it turns out) but she's settled in wonderfully. Gus absolutely adores her, he thinks she's his girlfriend, and Roxie is excited to have a big sister.

I would love to do both, but from what I understand, one of the challenges of training a SAR dog is training them off of animal scent and teach them to focus on human scent only. Doing both would be very confusing.

Right now it'll depend on what ex-husband wants to do, because if I train her for SAR then she has to be MY dog and only MY dog, and can't go back to him when/if he gets a dog-friendly place.

Cait, dogs can differentiate their 'clothing' So, train SAR with a vest or specific collar, train hunting with a plain buckle collar. it works, really-- my Basenji knew not to chase animals when she was in harness, and I had told her to 'suk' She ignored human scent when field trialing, and ignored animals when tracking-- My uncle once had a Beagle x American Eskimo that would trail what he told it to-- and he could tell by her song if she was staying true --- Dogs are not stupid,not by a long shot-- after all, look at the kinds of people wrapped around their dewclaws!

Frosted Rabbits":2cgjjfsi said:
Cait, dogs can differentiate their 'clothing' So, train SAR with a vest or specific collar, train hunting with a plain buckle collar.

True- people used to say not to obedience train a conformation dog or it would ruin it for the ring- but they know the difference depending upon the collar or lead used, if you are consistent. You can also use verbal cues, such as "Let's hunt!" or "Let's search!"

Back