Sunflower and millet plants

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
well, the BumbleBee Bed and breakfast has closed down--I pulled up the Sunflower stalks, and put a dog crate over all the volunteer plants growing under the bird feeder---
My rabbits LOVE the sunflower plants-- all stages of growth--- They are diving into all but the heaviest of stalks. The flower heads seem to be a delicacy, especially if the seeds are not yet dried.
For some reason, they are not too eager to eat the millet plants, but that is okay-- those can be composted once I mow over the area....
I'd really like to get some green corn stalks and dry them as hay for the buns--

What kind of millet is it? I have giant foxtail (Setaria), and the leaves/stalks are extremely sharp, as is the seed head. You could always put the seeds into a paper bag to dry, they'll fall right out of the head, and should be safe for the rabbits.

I'll have to try giving my girls sunflower plants. I scattered some BOSS earlier in the season, and have a nice little patch growing.

Back