Summer breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
I live in ag zone 7a, in middle TN. I am debating breeding my does one more time this summer next week. That would put them to kindle right around the middle of July. Not sure if I should though because of the heat.

When do you quit breeding for the summer? Where are you located? What parameters do you base your decision on? Thanks,

Joe

some people can breed through the heat of summer.

I choose not to for a few different reasons.
1. I've lost pregnant does on days that weren't (to me very hot).
2. I've had babies die in the heat cause I didn't get their fur removed on time.
3. Pet sales slump in the summer....and those that sell then, sell $10 babies.

You have to make the determination if your does/rabbits can handle the heat. I know many people have rabbits that can and do just fine in the summer heat. It's just not something I've bred for here in SW Ontario.

it gets hot here where I live,in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley in Ca. yesterday at 8:00 p.m. it was 108 todays high is 112 or higher.
and it will stay in the high 90's up into the low 100's for the next 3 to 4 months. I have had a few does that would produce good litters year round.
however I do not know how any of my does I currently have would handle this heat during delivery, so I have made the choice not to breed until the first part of Oct.
now if I have a doe that handles the heat with out much problems, I may breed her. It is not worth risking a doe to wait for a couple of months.

I am on the fence about breeding one more time this summer. My stock came from a well established, local rabbitry so they are bred for this area, but I am obviously worried about potentially losing a doe.

I emailed the breeder and asked them the same question so I will report back what they say.

One thing I have a read a few times since researching this issue is a prevailing thought that if the buck has gone sterile, it is too hot to breed. If the buck is still virile go ahead and breed. Let the buck tell you when it is time to not breed. Thoughts?

Joe

Keep in mind that even if the buck hasn't gone sterile, what will the temps be in 30 days when the doe kindles?

I'm in a suburb of Kansas City - gets above 100 a couple or more times each summer. More common to be above 90 which is when I worry. We have fans and misters - fans get turned on at 90 degrees, misters come on at 95. Usually cuts the temp in the bunny barn down to 85 or so which the rabbits are able to handle. Since all of this calls for somebody to be around monitoring things, you may not have that luxury.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do - especially if you decide to keep breeding through the summer. Thanks!

Joe, it's a real crap shoot. If you breed your does today, they're going to be due somewhere around July 9th. Try and remember how hot it was that same timeframe last year. I can tell you that it was HOT (well over 100 degrees with the heat index), and I know as much because I attended a show in Dickson, about 45 minutes west of Nashville on the weekend prior to July 4th last year. They had a lot of exhibitors back out on the show because they had lost just about everything they had.

I also say all of this having just bred one of my does this morning. It's going to be a real challenge to bring those rabbits along and keep the mom comfortable at the same time, and it's much later than I normally stop breeding for the summer altogether, but necessity is the mother of invention, and I rolled the dice because I've had absolutely rotten luck overall with raising litters this spring. I lost 3 bred does (2 of which literally died in the nest box while attempting to give birth), and had a false pregnancy on top of those losses. That pretty much meant that I had to lean a lot further forward than I normally would with my breeding program for the late fall and spring.

You might want to try one or two, but ain't no way in the world that I'd recommend doing it with every doe you have available.

I'm going to breed any doe that will . I had my last litter in July last year, I do not expect it to be near as hot this time around. I am breeding does that we're born in the heat this time last year to test theory.

SatinsRule, thank you. That is the kind of common sense approach I need to take. It was crazy hot last year and even losing one of my new does would be a blow now. I'll wait for fall because it's just not worth the risk.

Thank you for the other replies as well. Lots of good info on this board. I was only having doubts because another local breeder I know is pushing his does until the buck goes sterile. As I stated before, his logic is the buck going sterile is the trigger to tell you not to breed your does anymore. This guy is spot on with a lot of agricultural stuff, but I think his logic is flawed in this case.

Joe

I think you are wise to go with your gut, it's your herd and you know them best.

I just bred one die yesterday. No idea if the buck is still fertile with the high temps lately. The plan is to move the doe to my 'cool room' in a couple of weeks (have to get more cages/pans/etc). It never gets above 80F in there. Of course that is as long as the AC or power doesn't go out. Plus she handles heat very well and is a mutt that was raised in the heat. Her heat tolerance is as good if not better than my American Blues.

I breed through the summer. I lost a couple of kits the other day, I think because I forgot to remove some of the giant blanket of fur that Fluffy had enthusiastically pulled.

Joe, I live not too far from you, probably with similar weather. I would give it a try as long as you are willing to take some extra steps as it gets closer to delivery time.

Keep an eye on the mom- have some frozen water bottles, fans, or misters ready to go (I use bottles and am adding fans). When the kits come, make sure mom didn't do TOO good a job pulling fur. Depending on the weather when they're born, I might also consider bringing in the nest box and just taking it to her twice a day.

Good luck if you decide to try.

Unfortunately misters and fans are not an option where my hutches are located. If that was the case I would definitely breed again. When I move I will select my location for the rabbits much better. A shade tree at a minimum and/or a location that I can run misters on a timer to the hutch.

Those steps are a minimum back in the home state of AZ and something I wish I had thought of before setting up my rabbits in their current location at my current house. Thanks again for the input. It makes decisions easier when you get clear guidance from other hobbyists with similar goals.

Joe

I'm in my first year - I bought my first rabbit last June and now have 8. :p

I do a lot of gardening and I noticed last year and with the way I set up my variety of vines I could create a tent like over the largest hutch I have. With that hutch and the rabbit in it - pretty much didn't mine the temps. I had one buck last year and kept him in that hutch - he stayed sterile and the highest temp of the summer was 104. I also could tell a big difference in temp walking to that area of the yard. I bike ride a lot even in extreme heat - the coolest area in my yard last year was by that rabbit hutch. After my bike rides I'd put my chair beside the willow tree and that hutch too cool down.

So this year I planned in advance how I was going to plant and/or rearrange my vines in my yard to benefit all my rabbits via transpiration and released water vapor from the vines. My boyfriend built a huge over head A-Frame with PVC thin pipes the entire length of the rabbit area in my back yard.

My vines are beginning to take off now about a foot up the pipes, in no time they will blanket the A-Frame completely. The rabbit area will be totally enclosed by flower/fruit vines that will intercept the solar energy. I also have 2 corkscrew willow trees in that area - willow trees decrease humidity so that too helps with the temps.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Joe, since you're that limited in doe numbers, I'd think in terms of late August or early September to breed the does. The mercury starts to come down to a more manageable level around that time, and that couple of months can make all the difference in the world to a doe as she's headed into nesting. The key is to be patient with them. The first time you see them lift, breed them.

Latest posts

Back